*:\ is not accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clp86rom

so i had this maxtor hard drive running as master single in this computer and then it crashed to the point where it would not boot up anymore. i placed it as a slave in another computer to get the info off of it but then i get this message when i try to open it.

*:\ is not accessible.
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

is there anything i can do to fix it and recover my info?

LOL i dont think so. If the drive is in FAT32 format you could try this:
run this in command prompt:

convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs
example: convert d: /fs:ntfs

You will also be prompted a couple questions read them and answer appropriately.
On the way that asks to do on next reboot answer yes.
reboot and it will go through a process sort of like chkdsk and then it will start windows.

It only works one way, to NTFS. Being that Microsoft is trying to get everyone to use that drive format. That would remake the drives format and maybe make it work.

well that option of changing it to ntfs did not work because it was already ntfs format.

but what i did was just let it run through the ntfs check system thing windows xp has when it boot ups. you know what i mean guys the blue screen that comes up when windows boots and it checks one of the hard drives in three different steps if it thinks it has problems. it might be called chkdsk, but i am not sure. but yeah after letting that run, it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back