Is the PS3 THAT beastly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, yes it's powerful and has "Blu-Ray", but I would still rather spend more money on a computer than a PS3. The specs are so high that it doesn't really make a difference in the performance, as it probably gets 60+ FPS in almost every game played, in which you eye can't physically see past, so hardware as long as the game is 60+ fps doesn't matter. Sony generally overprices there products because they're a company that many people trust. I have the Xbox 360, which matches in performance to the PS3, with evened out specs. The PS3 might be slightly more powerful, but you really can't tell the difference. In general, it's worth the money if you don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a top of the line gaming computer. My pick would either be the Xbox 360 or the PS3 for a gaming system. The Wii is really cool, but not that practical if you know what I'm saying. I forsee people abandoning it at some point or another. Nintendo has that kind of reputation (at least from what I've seen with many of their products except for the gameboy).

I have a Wii. There is a horrible horrible selection of games out there for it right now. I spend 95% of my time playing Wii Sports which is suprisingly fun. I disagree that people will abandon it, what does it lack that the 360 and PS3 have? Graphics, and a hard drive. But most people don't have HDTVs, so... and I'm not sure you need a hard drive in a system when you can insert SD flash cards and connect devices by USB.

What reputation? I still have my NES, SNES, N64, and GC hooked up, and as recently as last week I bought games for the NES and SNES off ebay.

SNGX1275 said:
what does it lack that the 360 and PS3 have? Graphics, and a hard drive.

Not really. The Xbox 360 (and the PS3 too) have more mature titles, like GRAW 1 & 2, FEAR, GTA 4, Burnout, Saints Row etc. And most of the Wii's games are aimed for kids (not all of them of course).

If I had the cash, I would get an Xbox 360 (the newer one with a 65nm CPU of course :)), or maybe a PS3. They are really next-gen consoles.
And the Wii is just a beefed up Gamecube, with a weird controller... :unch:

A 700-750 Mhz processor :haha: Graphics really matter (of course gameplay is more important).
Just imagine playing FEAR @ 640x480 @15 FPS.... Not good at all, especially when you see the Xbox 360 & PS3's amazing graphics.

Just my 2 cents lol :)

I agree Wolfram. BTW, they changed the cpu specs? Was it 90nm originally? I didn't hear of anything :suspiciou...

Don't think you need awesome graphics to have good gameplay. Its not like the graphics on the Gamecube and Wii are bad anyway, they look good on standard def tvs, which most people have. We don't have to worry about playing FEAR at incredible framerates because we have computers for that.

cfitzarl said:
I agree Wolfram. BTW, they changed the cpu specs? Was it 90nm originally? I didn't hear of anything :suspiciou...

They will release an upgraded 360 with a 65 nm CPU, the current CPU is built on the 90 nm process. No more "Red rings of Death" hopefully ;)

And yeah, the Gamecube's graphics are OK, but what about the Wii's game selection... It's very very crappy... :(

wolfram said:
And yeah, the Gamecube's graphics are OK, but what about the Wii's game selection... It's very very crappy... :(
You got me there. It is pretty piss poor right now, I bought mine in a bundle off Wal-Mart and had to get 6 games (only way you could get a Wii) and I took 3 of the games back because I didn't want them, there just wasn't much that I wanted out of the selection avaiable. I kept Zelda, Excite Truck, and Tony Hawk Downhill (haven't even taken it out of shrinkwrap yet). There will undoubtably be good games in the future, not to mention the ever expanding games from older systems you can download and play.

wolfram said:
...but what about the Wii's game selection... It's very very crappy... :(

When the Xbox 360 launched, it had the same problem. I mean, look at Perfect Dark Zero, a game a computer from 2001 could probably play the same. I think now that the 360 has been out for a year, good games are finally finishing their development :) .

SNGX1275 said:
Don't think you need awesome graphics to have good gameplay

You're right, but you have to admit, when you take a game like CS:S or Oblivion and play it on low settings, and then high settings, there is a difference in gameplay. Especially if you go back down to lower settings ;)...

look at Perfect Dark Zero, a game a computer from 2001 could probably play the same.

Perfect Dark Zero has some of the best graphics of all the 360 games. Doesn't even come close to a 01' comp.

I thought that the graphics were awful for it. I was exaggerating when I said a computer from 2001 could play it the same. Just look at COD 3, Oblivion, or Gears of War, and then compare the graphics...

whoa whoa u guys have to remember something
the 360 and ps3 are much easier to create games for (mostly 360) because they are push button based whereas the wii's are mostly motion sensing.
that is why the game selection sux. cause for most of the games (cod2/3, fear, etc..) they would all require a basic pulling of the trigger and what nintendo is trying to do is get people moving more. if 8 or 9 of the games have you holding your controller in the shape of a gun for 6 hours u will get bored.
so they try to think of ways to be more interactive like in wii sports where the movements are fairly realistic.
u have to give nintendo a little slack because they are the forerunners (like they always have been) of some pretty cool tech. give it a year and the games will be better, more, and alot cooler

You are right, although will the fact that games take much longer turn people off? Will it make it so that there aren't many games for a long time for the Wii? Those are my questions. I know they allow developers access to the platform of the gaming system before it comes out, but the way you are putting it, it still wouldn't allow for much time to make a really in depth game.

of course it will turn people off just look at this forum everyone is saying the game selection sux
and yes it will be awhile b4 any truly good games come out for the wii
however once those games do come out they will be much better games than the ones offered for the 360 or ps3
if anyone can pull off such awesome technology it is nintendo. so until those games come out just play wii sports and your GC games

you also have to remember thatthe 360 didnt have a very good line up at the beggining of the launch. Only PDZ, COD2, and PGR 3. The Wiis line-up will get better. I also agree with the fact that Wii games are harder to make. Think about playing GRAW on a Wii. I have a Wii and an Xbox360 and im savin up for a PS3.

If you have the 360, then the PS3 doesn't make much sense right now. Maybe in the future it will be worth the $$$ :)

wolfram said:
If you have the 360, then the PS3 doesn't make much sense right now. Maybe in the future it will be worth the $$$ :)
yea, yesterday i played my friends ps3 for the first time and its not any better

cfitzarl said:
When the Xbox 360 launched, it had the same problem. I mean, look at Perfect Dark Zero, a game a computer from 2001 could probably play the same. I think now that the 360 has been out for a year, good games are finally finishing their development :) .

You're right, but you have to admit, when you take a game like CS:S or Oblivion and play it on low settings, and then high settings, there is a difference in gameplay. Especially if you go back down to lower settings ;)...
Yes, it DOES change the gameplay. I find it much easier to play first person shooters in 640x480, even though I can go up to 1440x900 still at around 60 FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back