Is there such thing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddo

Is there such thing as a normal USB female to Ethernet Male converter?

As my External hard drive is USB and my router has only Ethernet Connections, unless anyone has another suggestion which could help?

Thanks

Uhm.. That adapter is either not going to do anything or will fry your hardware.

Ethernet and USB are completely different protocols and you can't translate between these without some serious hardware/software support.

You want a NAS box that supports USB.

that would be my first guess too, however, googling USB to Ethernet converter
finds several products, eg this one

And do you really think that this thing:
A: is a USB host device that you can connect USB storage to? Hint: take a good look at the USB plug.
B: works without device drivers, meaning that you don't need a computer at the USB end?

The question is, why are you trying to connect your external HDD directly to your router?

Just connect your extern HDD via the USB to the PC, which should already be connected to the router). Go to whatever internet file hosting site you are trying to connect to. Now to upload files, use their Browse button and direct it to the external HDD.

Nodsu said:
And do you really think that this thing:
A: is a USB host device that you can connect USB storage to? Hint: take a good look at the USB plug.
B: works without device drivers, meaning that you don't need a computer at the USB end?
understand your concerns --- what then is/are these devices used for?
Rarely do companies make devices that can't work at all :)

No, i want to be able to access my files wirelessly from my external HDD...

But it seems ill need an NAS storage device then.

Hrmm, so it's impossible then?..

Thanks anyway guys.

jobeard said:
understand your concerns --- what then is/are these devices used for?
Rarely do companies make devices that can't work at all :)
It's an external ethernet adapter, meaning that you plug it into your USB port, install some drivers and it will look like an ethernet card in your PC.

Linksys, however, offers a potentially cost-saving alternative. Its $100 Wireless-G Media Storage Link Router product (WRTSL54GS) lets you plug any USB hard drive into the router and use it as a NAS drive. You can also plug flash memory drives into the USB port.
me thinks this is the best solution

Nodsu said:
It's an external ethernet adapter, meaning that you plug it into your USB port, install some drivers and it will look like an ethernet card in your PC.
we're on the same page here. usb->ethernet->internet access is the usage of these devices :)

NAS is a totally different animal :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back