Is there such thing..

By Reddo ยท 11 replies
Feb 9, 2008
  1. Is there such thing as a normal USB female to Ethernet Male converter?

    As my External hard drive is USB and my router has only Ethernet Connections, unless anyone has another suggestion which could help?

  2. raybay

    raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +10

    See the computer geeks site or the cyberguys site, among others.
  3. Rage_3K_Moiz

    Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,443   +38

    This is what you need I believe. But it isn't USB 2.0, so transfer speeds will be slow.
  4. Nodsu

    Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

    Uhm.. That adapter is either not going to do anything or will fry your hardware.

    Ethernet and USB are completely different protocols and you can't translate between these without some serious hardware/software support.

    You want a NAS box that supports USB.
  5. jobeard

    jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 11,168   +986

    that would be my first guess too, however, googling USB to Ethernet converter
    finds several products, eg this one
  6. Nodsu

    Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

    And do you really think that this thing:
    A: is a USB host device that you can connect USB storage to? Hint: take a good look at the USB plug.
    B: works without device drivers, meaning that you don't need a computer at the USB end?
  7. kirock

    kirock TS Rookie Posts: 1,221

    The question is, why are you trying to connect your external HDD directly to your router?

    Just connect your extern HDD via the USB to the PC, which should already be connected to the router). Go to whatever internet file hosting site you are trying to connect to. Now to upload files, use their Browse button and direct it to the external HDD.
  8. jobeard

    jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 11,168   +986

    understand your concerns --- what then is/are these devices used for?
    Rarely do companies make devices that can't work at all :)
  9. Reddo

    Reddo TS Rookie Topic Starter

    No, i want to be able to access my files wirelessly from my external HDD...

    But it seems ill need an NAS storage device then.

    Hrmm, so it's impossible then?..

    Thanks anyway guys.
  10. Nodsu

    Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

    It's an external ethernet adapter, meaning that you plug it into your USB port, install some drivers and it will look like an ethernet card in your PC.
  11. Samstoned

    Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

    me thinks this is the best solution
  12. jobeard

    jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 11,168   +986

    we're on the same page here. usb->ethernet->internet access is the usage of these devices :)

    NAS is a totally different animal :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...