Is this Ati 9800 Pro a FAKE???

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipside94

New to this site... but here's the skinny,
I have a Sony Vaio (PCV-RX650), w/ a weak video card & want to upgrade!
A friend told me it is agp slots I have, but don't know if it is 4X or 8X.
Does the card I need to buy, need to be specifically 4X or 8X?
I am looking @ the ATI 9800 Pro or 9600XT

Second qustion comes on actually buying the card?
Has anyone looked on ebay they are significantly less, yet these "Power Sellers" that sell thousands of these cards have good reviews!

Does anyone know or have an opinion if there are counterfeit cards...I would assume a few gamers out there would buy these cards & leave negative reviews if these cards are slower, yet there are few, & everyone seems to be happy w/ their cards? Anyone have advise or experience???

1. Do I have 4X or 8X agp, & do I have to get specific video card for my comp if its 4X or 8X

2. ebay cards are they fake, conterfeit, modded, refurbished...or a bunch of chip & transistor junk?

Any help deeply appreciated! :hotouch:

hello and welcome to techspot.
1. Do I have 4X or 8X agp, & do I have to get specific video card for my comp if its 4X or 8X
the sony vaio you mentioned has a 4x agp slot. agp 8x cards are backwards compatible with 4x, so an 8x card would work (ideally).
2. ebay cards are they fake, conterfeit, modded, refurbished...or a bunch of chip & transistor junk?
if you make an unwise purchase, you can easily end up with a peice of crap. know what you are buying.
I am looking @ the ATI 9800 Pro or 9600XT
look at the msi nx6600gt-vtd128 instead. it costs less and has much better performance than said ati models. i own one and have nothing but good things to say, as do all the reviews i've seen.
I have a Sony Vaio (PCV-RX650), w/ a weak video card & want to upgrade!
this is your problem: the fact that it's a sony vaio. not only is your power supply too weak to drive the new card, but your case doesn't have sufficient cooling. there's even a chance you have a type of case that lacks physical space for the bigger cards. and, because it's a sony vaio (and thus oem), you'll find it impossible to get replacement parts to make your computer able to accept the desired upgrades. and, it uses sony-engineered chips and boards, so it's performance will lag even more. plus, the 4x agp slot more just about halves your potential graphics performance.

the bottom line is, you can't improve the performance of your vaio: it's stuck where it is. if you want to change that bad, a radeon 8500 or something is the best you'll do. it's too bad, but true nonetheless. in the future, i reccommend that you build or buy a custom pc, probably available at a local pc shop to avoid setbacks such as this.

I have an Fx 6600GT 128mb. It works great! After reading about troubles with some manufacters cards I went with Fx and am glad I did. I hope this works for you.

Zephead,
thanks so much for the advise...i knew there were always problems w/ these pre arranged HP's & Sony's but i was always lazy, the sucky thing is i get so much lag on "Medal of Honor", & can't even play "Call of Duty" because my card can't support it!!! I know next comp, i will build to my own specs, but want to get the best video card for this Vaio...thanks though!!

Avalanche,
how is thos card compared to ati 9600 pro? did you install it on a comp you built, or do you have a pre-assembled comp (i.e.- Vaio, Hp, etc?)

if you want to go through with the upgrade, a radeon 8500 should be all right. i used to play cod on mine at 1027x768, and it was quite playable. before you buy acertain your computer's insides can accommodate the card spacewise. good luck.

ps - said card shoul cost you no more than $90 (USD)

Good Day Flip,
I looked at both nvidia and ati. So many people seem to be having trouble with the ati cards so I went with the 6600GT. I was tired of the junk on prefab computers so I built my own. I am glad I did. The only game I play is COD and it works great!

The 6600(GT) card requires a lot more power then either of the two ATI cards you've looked at, with the 9600XT requireing the least amount. So even though you may not be able to drive the 6600(GT), you should be able to use the 9600XT...

As for if the cards are fake, I don't know... But the 9600XT should look like this and run at the speeds specified on that page. You can find the corresponding page for the 9800pro here... And you can find the power consumption of the 9800 pro here (which was also linked to below this thread under "similar threads")....

compguy said:
Quick queston why do post is this video card real or fake??? :suspiciou :suspiciou

the reason why this is posted in this fashion, is the question of ebay video cards...anybody have experience with them, or know somebody who does? because they are significantly cheaper... yet if you look @ how many cards some these people sell (Power Sellers = 1,000's of cards) these people seem to get great reviews! I know many hard core techies wouldn't trust them, but are there fake cards out there (like fake Rolexes) or refurbished cards, or do people think this is the real thing?

bye the way thanks soooo much Mr. Garibaldi...this is really helpful to me

thankyou soooo much, this info is really appreciated i was kinda conerned because of the power specification to power this card! this was indeed insightful!

thanks again mr. garibaldi the link was really helpful, i think i will hold off on the ebay card, because of this link! I will probably just pay regular price for it! & may get the ati 9600 xt since my comp will be able to power it!

flipside94 said:
the reason why this is posted in this fashion, is the question of ebay video cards...anybody have experience with them, or know somebody who does? because they are significantly cheaper... yet if you look @ how many cards some these people sell (Power Sellers = 1,000's of cards) these people seem to get great reviews! I know many hard core techies wouldn't trust them, but are there fake cards out there (like fake Rolexes) or refurbished cards, or do people think this is the real thing?

I see thanks for the info. I agree with u 100% about that.

Sebastian :bounce:

pcv-rx650

i also have a pcv-rx650, and i was looking at the 9800 pro (256) but i find out that i cant upgrade my psu cause nothinG FITS, *darn sony* so what card would be able to get powered by the standard psu. the 9600 xt? as i read above by flipside, would that be able to run hl2? and cs css and maybe bf2? please give me a recommendation to a graphics card that can be run by the standard psu in the pcv-rx650!!!!

perhaps an ati radeon 9600 or lower would do alright, as previously stated. however, you should realize that adding a new card will yield limited performance gains on account of other performance bottlenecks. do you know the specs of your power supply?

PZEROFGH said:
i also have a pcv-rx650, and i was looking at the 9800 pro (256) but i find out that i cant upgrade my psu cause nothinG FITS, *darn sony* so what card would be able to get powered by the standard psu. the 9600 xt? as i read above by flipside, would that be able to run hl2? and cs css and maybe bf2? please give me a recommendation to a graphics card that can be run by the standard psu in the pcv-rx650!!!!

thanks zephead again...i was looking @ the ATI 9600 XT and am thinking about buying it tomorrow! Sony does suck in that capacity...but from another post I did (don't know how to place link here) it seems the 9600 XT may fit, & can be powered by our vaios... Have you heard anything?

~Flipside

there's a reasonable chance that, for one reason or another, you will not be able to get that 9600xt working. i've worked on many sony vaios that belonged to people who wanted to add performance, and aside from the limited drive and pci expansion capacities, there was nothing that could be done.

greetings comrades, i have a sony pcv-rx650, i cant find my post, but im looking at the 9800 pro(128) and i have an old computer which is a p3 like 8.6 gig hardrive and 32 mb of ram, (top of the line back then, 2k! man) anyways, i took out that psu, and is it possible that i could use that psu just to power the graphics card, lets say a 9800 pro? so i could just rest the psu on top of my case, feed the wire throught the pci slot underneath the card and power it that way? Much Help is needed.thanks

the psu for the old computer is a 200 watt, and i was also looking for a way to cool my graphics card, the pci slot cooler anyone?? :confused: :confused: , i have no extra fan mounts and i dont want to take off the stock cooler on the card and replace it with like a vga silencer cause i dont want to break my card. so if you guys know any good pci slot coolers, help will be appreciatted :bounce: and my card comes in on friday i hope it comes early with newegg.com and fedex shipping :bounce: :bounce: cant wait

waat theres an image restrictions, how lame

Sure, you can use another PSU to power your graphics card...
And the way you outline sounds very good, though if it's going to be permanent, I'd look into building the psu into the case....

i meam, i dont really care if thers a box on top of my case. as long as it works and it works well then ill be fine. anyways how would i stick the psu in my case. if i was going to stick it in my case i would just have bought a new psu for my whole case. but as you can see sony makes odd dimensions for their psu so i cant get a new psu for my system thats why i have to run an external one just for my grpahics card. AND ITS BEING DELIEVERED AS I SPEAK! :bounce: :bounce: i givfe it until 1 the latest i hope!!

hold it...are you planning on using two different psus at the same time on one machine? if you are, you're going to have to set them up to start at the same time. if you've got two atx models, you're going to have to do a bit of wiring...
anyways how would i stick the psu in my case.
it's up to you. i doubt it would either fit or remail cool enough, but you can always tru it out. whatever you do, make sure you have a metal ground contact between the second psu's metal casing and the METAL part of your vaio's casing. that little peice of wire is going to keep your grounding proper and is important.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: lol, i figured out that by myself, i tired the graphics card into the psu and i figured that i couldnt power up that psu. so i just connected the card into the extra connector cable coming off my hard drive and ba BOOM, i mean my psu is only wat 289watts or somethign and the 9800 pro is working...

then you guys go "its not running at its full performance" but i really dont care. i mean im actually getting 100fps, before the highest i ever got was 30fps on cs. and thats cs! now im playing css and hl2 and everything. i didnt even need a new psu! WHEEEEEEEEEe. so actually you dont need a 300 watt psu to power the card WHEEEE! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back