Is this computer good enough to play world of warcraft???

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a processor standpoint, that system is fine. You'd want to get an AGP video card though, instead of depending on the the integrated graphics. For WoW, you don't need a bleeding edge video card. My son's system is an AMD XP 1700+ with a GeForce MX440 and runs WoW fine. On the other hand, if you'll also want to run the latest games (HalfLife2, Doom3, etc.), or want to run at the highest resolution and effects level, buy the best video card you can afford. A GeForce 6600GT can be had for under $200.00. You might also consider upgrading the memory for 512MB. Another 256MB stick should only cost you under $30.00 if you shop around. I've seen 512MB for $40.00 with rebates.

For any xp PC i recomend at least 512 RAM. For any MMO, i think 512 is the lowest you can go.

If you can stretch i'd rather recommend

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...pe=19&dept=3944&path=0:3944:3951:41937:132982

It'll last longer on newer games, but its a bit more expensive
You'll still need to buy a video card, like the 6600GTor Radeon 9800Pro

I'd recommend the Radeon, although i don't know which performs better
Of course the Radeon is AGP8x, I couldn't find out what motherboard it is. With whatever you buy when you get it check to see whether the motherboard is AGP or PCI express

radeon would perform faster and as far as pixel pipelines which for gameers is vital im not sure on which one has more but they are both up there a ways and if you get a 256 meg radeon you will be set 9800 pro however nothing else in radeon unless you start going x series the next series up. as far as performance goes i dont think that you are going to see much difference in the 9800 pro's and g-forces 6800 gts. both will fully max out doom 3 which is probably the most intense game benchmark out right now. radeon is going to be cheaper to buy however because it is older. but just as fast

Alienware's

Sublime if u can push just a liitle bit more get an alienware here is the link www.alienware.com trust me i have 1 my self and its GREAT look around and check out their stuff..... good luck

sebastian

hey comguy how do you like your alienware is it a good solid pc? and what are the specs on it thanx bobcat

compguy said:
Sublime if u can push just a liitle bit more get an alienware
Push it a little more? Thats a understatment

Alienwares are top of the line, yes, but a value...no. Did you see the price on his rig at walmart? 494USD. 599 dollars is the cheapest they have at alienware, and you get the same HD, same RAM for 150 dollars more! stick with the walmart...

Sean

Like what everyone else said, that integrated video card will kill you. I would personally get a new video card and some more ram. :)

Aragorn said:
i dont know what kind of warcraft i ave and i need help patching it can any1 help,?
Make yourself a new thread in the "Gaming and Consoles" forum, and I am sure we can help! :) It would also be helpful if you mentioned what kind of problems you are running into, when trying to update the patch.

Well, instead of going Alienware you could try this, www.velocitymicro.com, they are a lot cheaper and plus you can configure any pc you like.
I haven't bought a pc from, but I have heard very good reviews at CNET about them. ;)

It has integrated graphics, which uses your ram as video memory. It may play WoW, but not at very high settings.

Hi SanaiBeach,
According to HP/Compaq's website, that model you have linked has a free/available PCI-Express x 16 slot for adding a real videocard.

While I'd also verify this with the dealer prior to buying, this would give you many options for upgrading to a gaming 3d card for WoW.

Everything else about that system looks pretty good: cpu, memory, disk space, cd etc.etc. The integrated video though will perform very, very poorly with WoW else you'll need to reduce settings a bit. There are dozens of cheap PCI-E alternatives though, with the range being your upgrade budget as well as how beefy the power supply is on that model.

A GeForce 6600/6600GT PCI-E shouldn't cost much and will give great performance with WoW without needing a very beefy PSU.

On my computer WoW itself is using about 512 MB of memory, add the other processes to it and you'll see that you'd better have at least 768 MB, the more the better.

A gig of DDR2 RAM is not that expensive nowadays, even moreso that the PC u posted uses PC2-4200 which will probably be cheaper than other RAM like PC2-5300 which is the most common.

nickslick74 said:
It has integrated graphics, which uses your ram as video memory. It may play WoW, but not at very high settings.
It takes almost nothing to play WoW... integrated would prob get around 25FPS at max settings...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back