Is this enough to to play high end games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1nice1

Full Tower ATX Case with Clear Plexi-Glass Side
600 Watt Power Supply Unit (2 Fans w/ Blue LED lights)
3 System Case Fans (w/ Green LED lights)
MSI KT-4 Ultra Motherboard
AMD Athlon xp 2400 Processor
512 MB RAM
60 GB HD
Samsung 52X32X52 CD Burner
Floppy Drive
Wired Network Adapter
Wireless Network Adapter
Nvidia G-Force 5200 FX 256MB ram
On-Board 5.1 Digital Audio w/ S/PDIF & Toslink Optical Audio Outputs
8 USB Ports (2 Front Ports)

Installed Software*

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 with most current security updates & hotfixes

Complete Microsoft Office 2003 Suite, Including:
Microsoft Outlook
Microsoft Excel
Microsoft PowerPoint
Microsoft Publisher
Microsoft Access
Microsoft InfoPath
Microsoft Project
Microsoft Visio

Complete Audio Creative Studio, Including:
Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Image Ready
Adobe GoLive
Adobe InDesign

Complete Macromedia Studio MX2004, Including:
Macromedia Flash
Macromedia Dreamweaver
Macromedia Freehand
Macromedia Fireworks

Ahead Nero CD/DVD Burning Software

discreet Cleaner XL

i didn't have very much money,so this was the best i could do.

Am i close enough to skate by? (hoping hoping) :)

I think i did pretty well with $250.00 :D

thats very good for that money lol!

The best thing to change would be the graphics card for sure if you want high end gaming... the ATI X1600 are a good price and have good performance, also the nVidia 7600 series cards are brilliant for the price. The FX5200 you have at the mo, MIGHT run recent games but MIGHT not...

I'd recommend changing the graphics card mainly :) either ATI 9600/9800/X1600 or nVidia 6600/7600... :)

ah cool, I was not sure what better card i should try as i only know about computers from the problems i have encountered.

TYVM

I would go with adding more ram, 512mb doesn't cut it anymore, 1GB minimum or if you can afford it go with 2GB+.

Well, let's be honest here now. You are asking if the system will be enough to play the "high end games".

I'd have to vote no, you will not be able to if when you say "high end" games you are refering to today's newest games.

The fx5200 is a very slow graphics card, and will not be nearly enough to handle today's newest games.

The CPU (XP 2400) and 512mb of ram in combination with a decent graphics card would be questionable, but with that fx5200 card? Nope. Not for today's newest high end graphics games. You will have a hard time gaming on that machine even with turning everything down to the lowest possible settings.

y u feedin this guy **** that no way going to run good/new games it would be lucky if he could get a good frame rate on low-medium setting in nfsmw that thing

whats ur price range (i will let u no whats the best for ur cash + do u allready have a pc as u could use some stuff out that i.e. cd/dvd/hdd to save money if ur broke

mate have u got this pc yet or are u still looking for a pc as i will price u up the best for the cask u have.

-whats ur price range?

yes dude666 i own the system but it was damaged i believe in shipping but i can not file a claim only shipper can and he's away on vacation for 2 more weeks. when the system arrived the heatsink/fan combo was loose in the computer. i looked for damage but found none that i could reconize but that unit is about a pound in weight. not being a tech or having testing equipement realy limits my abillity to chase down the problem.

without the monitor or floppy working i'm at a loss. I don't understand why the monitor does not work,maybe i should try a small 4mb graphic card see what happens.

as far as my price range it took near a year to save up the $250.00 to buy this one i thought i did pretty good but i guess not. i'm disabled and on ssi very little money.

most shops want $79. - $89.00 to check it out and then more to fix if possible. for that much i could prolly replace the mobo.

HALLO 1nice1,Don't worry,just upgrade your graphics card to geforce 6200(256mb)(next best card after fx 5200,also it is not as costly as 6600 etc), and then with 512mb ram,u will be able to run all new games(with medium or low settings though)till today,except few like 'ghost reckon advanced warfighter','oblivion',etc..

6200??? you gotta be kidding, that's a low performance card, look what people told me about that card:

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic60336.html

1nice1, i don't undestand what do you mean with:
[without the monitor or floppy working i'm at a loss. I don't understand why the monitor does not work,maybe i should try a small 4mb graphic card see what happens.]
is the system damaged? if so, you might wanna wait to contact the seller for any kind of warranty you have.

Let me tell you for $250 is such a good deal (if everything works ok), of course is not the latest high performance PC, but is a decent one, and yes it might let you play some games, but some not, Specially at Max settings. First, video card need to be upgraded, second one you'll need more memory, third, some games might need a faster CPU. But don't worry, try to run some games (just don't try oblivion, BF2, Fear) and you'll see how it'll perform, play with the settings a while, let us know what happen and we can help. Good Luck

You did pretty well for $250.

But as other's have noted, no- you cannot play "high end games" on that rig without a lot of performance issues.

That doesn't mean that rig WONT play high-end games though. With a couple cheap upgrades, you should be able to play them at low to medium settings.

You CAN play a lot of games as-is, just stick to lower settings and lower resolution. When you upgrade the videocard (as mentioned prior, a 9600 Pro is like $56 for a cheap, low-end solution), you'll be able to ramp settings a bit more.

well first off ,i'd like to thank you all for your help i learned a few things :). I sent the unit in to a shop to find out what was up.The best they could tell me is that the mobo was not working but they didn't know why.There is no damage that can be seen. I dicided on getting a new mobo but with little funds i was forced to get a lesser board .I don't know much about good or bad one's you tell me if i did ok :)

ECS ELITE GROUP 741GX-M V 1.0

FSB 333 DDR 333 1AGP 8X

ATA 133 USB2.0 10/100 LAN

6CH. AUDIO COLOR MAP PCI 3

EMBEDDED GRAPHICS

When i figure out how to work this (cool cam) digital camera
i'll send you all a pic.

Oh, i installed the mobo myself :D am proud of me lol.

What do you all think of the win.xp pro. code name whistler?
is it a good version to run on my pc?

thanks you all :)

Like most others said for $250 that's pretty good rig, What I would do is upgrade the mobo and get PCI-E and atleast 1gig ram and get one of the cheaper PCI-E videocards like 6600 or so, you should be up in the $400s by now but it will be able to play high-end games... I didnt really see your price range so I dont know if I went alittle high over your budget or not

Hope I helped any

here is a pic of what you all helped me with
'
thanks again :)

oh and now up to 1gig ram :)

photo in gallery title the green monster

Video Card Features - Minimum attributes of your Video Card Video RAM: Required - 64 MB , You have -
Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes , You have - No
Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 1.0 , You have - 0.0

this is what the game play check site said
My card has no accellerator or shader?

NVIDIA G-FORCE FX 5200 256mb

There is no picture ;)

Video Card Features - Minimum attributes of your Video Card Video RAM: Required - 64 MB , You have -
Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes , You have - No
Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 1.0 , You have - 0.0

this is what the game play check site said
My card has no accellerator or shader?

NVIDIA G-FORCE FX 5200 256mb

No your card doesnt have the latest shaders ( SM 2.0/3.0 )

The 5200 is pretty outdated, do you have a PCI-e Slot, PCI, AGP?

If PCI-e you could upgrade to a nVidia 7800 or 7900 and run almost all games ( except for DX10 games like Crysis )

If PCI get a nVidia 6200

If AGP get a nVidia 7800

tyvm will there be a marked improvment with the AGP 8x 7800?

something i would notice being a novice :)

The 7800 is one of the best AGP cards. It's surely much faster than any 9600 or FX cards :) There will be a huge improvement.

The GeForce 7800 GS AGP 4X/8X cards are some of the best for AGP.

EDIT: Ah didn't see the second page, yes a GeForce 6600 GT for $35 is fantastic deal, just understand that GeForce 6 cards are not the newest.

this card has GDDR3 memory i'm not sure what that is is it good?
cause my rig has regular DDR memory.

thank you; i'm going to wait untill i can upgrade the mobo to a PCIe and larger memory capacity before scouting out a better vid card. ty agian for your help.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back