Is this hard drive setup possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallabing

Ok, I have 4 identical Western digital 160GB 7200rpm 16mb cache SATA hard drives.

I need 2 of those hard drives to run in RAID 0

Then I also want the other two other drives to run in RAID 0, but I also want them to mirror the other RAID 0 setup like a RAID 1 setup.

See where I'm getting? Heres a diagram

http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=raiddiagramzp8.jpg

Is this possible?

How would I do this task?

Any help appreciated.

It is called RAID 0+1 - a mirror of stripes. Some RAID controllers can do this out of the box and you can most certainly do it if you combine hardware RAID0 with software RAID1. BTW, RAID 1+0 is similar, only reversed - you have two RAID1 sets across which you make a RAID0.

So first, you check if your RAID controller happens to support this kind of setup. If not, then you read up on setting up software RAID in your operating system (if at all possible).

Thanks for all the info. I did some more research and this type of configuration is called "nesting" something which my onboard RAID controller cant do :( Anybody know of any third party RAID controllers that can do this?

All real hardware RAID controllers with enough SATA ports should be able to. Just look for a supported RAID level of 10, 01, 1+0 or 0+1. Can you afford it? We are talking about $300-$400 here..

Hardware RAID combined with software is much more realistic. Your RAID or fakeraid controller will do the RAID0 part and your operating system will handle the RAID1 part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back