Is This PC Good Enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimboy

Hey, I've been looking around for a good decent PC. There's this one being sold by TigerDirect. It's a Gateway GT5453E with AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2 Ghz(Dual-Core), 1 GB DDR2 RAM, 320 GB SATA II HDD, 20x DVD-RW Dual layer drive and Flash media reader. It comes with Windows Vista Home Premium. Graphics is by an nVidia GeForce 6150 SE chip.It's being sold at $330. Is this system worth buying? It has 4 PCI Express slots on which I can install another video card to replace the crappy 6150 chip. Thanks.

This post/thread should be with your original thread.

As the others have stated it's probably better to build your own. Agreed there's some (maybe a lot if it's your first build) uncertainty, but later on when you try to upgrade or build another box, the experience will be invaluable!

I didn't investigate the computer you're talking about, but is this 4 PCIE x 16, or 3 PCIE x 1 and a PCIE x 16 which is the graphics card slot. Normally only the higher-end boards offer multiple PCIE x 16 slots

Build one yourself. I would say that $300 is a fair price for that specific computer, but it is rather low-end.

Use Newegg for your PC Parts needs.

You can read more about the PC at

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3322773&Catld=2663.

Rage_3k_moiz's system costs 30 bux more and adding the case, PSU, optical drives and hard disks is going

to push up the cost. I don't mind if it's refurbished or new. I've never owned a new PC. I just want

something that can play not very old (two years) games such as Evil Scrolls IV: Oblivion, FIFA 2006,

Dawnspire: Prelude, Gumboy Crazy Adventures, Medieval II: Total War, GTR 2, Company Of Heroes e.t.c.

Am a student and haven't got that much cash to spare (school life is a killer). Thanks.

There's a small catch........

The PC seems decent. Many times refurbished item were never defective in the first place, merely returned. Sometimes there's a defect, but it could be a bad run of DVD drives or such, and the return has been a "pre-recall recall". I bought a Nikon D-50 as a refurb,.. it works fine...I bought a 3 year extended warranty with it. The warranty was only $30.00
Which brings us to the small catch. Most refurbished item only carry a 30 day parts and labor, as does this computer. Truth be told, most things work well past their initial warranty. If you are insecure you can purchase an extended warranty from Tiger Direct, (1 or 2 years). Be aware, it's not cheap. Let us know what you decide. Also, many credit cards will extend the warranty for you, read the fine print on the credit card.

The good thing about that one is it comes with an OS. You are looking at about $130 for the OS if you build yourself. So if $330 is your max, then you'd have to build the rest of the computer for $200, which really isn't going to get you much of a system at all.

Vista is probably going to not run Aero, or at least not run it well with that 6150, their statement "From the planet's most graphics-intensive games to the toughest, most complex business applications - no problem. This Gateway PC breezes through any program with ease and great graphics thanks to NIVIDIA's GeForce 6150SE chip." is the most blatenly false advertising I've seen in quite some time. Although it might be good enough to play your older games. The computer appears to have a PCIe 16x slot so you could add a real card later.

The phrase "From the planet's most graphics-intensive games to the toughest, most complex business applications - no problem. This Gateway PC breezes through any program with ease" was used in almost every Gateway PC being sold by TigerDirect, even the more expensive ones. Yes you are right I can add another video card later. It seems that most of you guys are kinda impressed by this cheap PC. Know what, I am gonna take it. Thanks to all of you.

The cost effectiveness has reduced for building your own, but its FUN!

Get an extra 1GB of RAM.

Make sure the PSU is good quality (500W+ Antec, or Corsair, Seasonic) to accomadate that PCIe GPU you WILL put it.

The CPU sux.

good luck man.

Bigfellla said:
The cost effectiveness has reduced for building your own, but its FUN!
Its just like its always been, you can build high end ones cheaper than you can buy high end ones, the cost effectiveness on the low end ones drop mostly because they include an OS, whereas normal people have to buy one at $100+. If you want to run Linux then you can probably build a low end one at a comperable price to a branded PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back