Is This PSU Good Enough For My PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaf

Recently My PC has been restarting unexpectedly when playing high quality 3D games. Someone said your PSU may not be outputting enough wattage. Well i took the side section off my PC and I had a look at the PSU. It said "POWERMAN 250W (P250)". Here are my computer specifications:

AMD Athlon XP 2700+ (2.16 GHz)
384MB RAM (128 MB SHARED)
GEFORCE 4 MX INTEGRATED GRAPHICS 128MB

Is the PSU wattage to low for this spec. I hope someone can tell me, coz im pretty much a newbie for the hardware and power side of things.

Cheers :) :)

That PSU totally inadequate ...

Powerman 250w PSU (specs)
====================
+3.3V @ 16A
+5V @ 19.5A
+12V @ 13A
-5V @ 0.3A
-12V @ 0.8A
+5vsb @ 2A

Try and get a PSU with around 20A rating on +12v line (e.g. a 350w Enermax would be a good choice).

Powerman Specs

13A on the 12V rail isn't not going to cut it with today's computer system. at least 18A on the 12V rail to be safer for future upgrades.

in addition, if you want a quiet power supply, get something like an Antec TruePower or SilenX. a name brand psu of around 350W should give you enough power and stability. the enermax 350W that Nic suggested is good as well.

i have an Antec Truepower 480W, and it has been very reliable for me. i remember reading a review of the SilenX 400W Ultra Quiet Power Supply and it was running two computers at the same time (each computer with a lot of cd-drives and hard drives, a radeon 9700pro, and a 9800pro, and power hungry CPUs); plus the reviewer said it is really silent...like completely noiseless. pretty amazing.

read some reviews and shop around to get a quality psu within your budget.

Thanx Nic & BrownPaper for your suggestions. Im planning on buying an Enermax 350w.

I thought 250w was a bit low, so i asked you guys to check it out 4 me.

Cheers :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back