Is this system any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamensterms

hey guys,
recently ive been looking to get a new pc. im a graphic designer and i do a little animation and web design too. the software i use are illustrator, photoshop, flash and dreamweaver mainly. i had a mate suggest this pc to me but i wanted to get a few other opinions about whether it will run the software well and if it is worth the money at the moment. i would also like to be able to play oblivion and a few other games on it. it is selling for $800 AUD. it only has XP but i will put vista on it.

here is the specs and links.

(NEW) HP COMPAQ DX7300 ST PC, BLACK, CONVERTIBLE SMALL FORM, INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6300 PROCESSOR 1.86GHZ, 1GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667MHZ SDRAM, 160GB SATA HDD, DVD+/-RW LIGHTSCRIBE DOUBLE LAYER DRIVE, ATI RADEON X1300 GRAPHICS WITH 256MB MEMORY (DVI AND TV), INTEGRATED 10/100 ETHERNET, INTEGRATED AUDIO, INTEL 600SM VOIP PCI CARD, 8 USB PORTS, KEYBOARD, MOUSE, POWER CABLE, WINDOWS XP PRO PRE-INSTALLED, WINDOWS VISTA CAPABLE, MICROSOFT WORKS 8.5 CD. (P/N: RN772PA#ABG) (SN:aud70402dn) (85957-173)

http://www.graysonline.com.au/lot.asp?LOT_ID=1324944

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/hk/en/sm/WF04a/1090261-1139371-1139371-1139371-12902164.html

any help is much appreciated.

cheers.

Well

For what you want to do with it, no its probably not going to meet your needs to well.

CPU is good

Memory although is better (faster) than most OEM stuff 1gb would leave you lagging in some games and in graphic arts

Video Card isnt up to par with the games you want to play....It is a step up from integrated but your not going to have a fun time playing oblivion on it.

Power Supply isnt going to hold up to the graphics card your going to put in there to play the games you want to play.

So basically your gonna need to spend around another $400 to make it worth your while to play games.

Basically Id say look for somthing with 2gb of memory, a minimum of an x1600XT or 7600GT video card. Also a decent power supply isnt always the worst thing to look for either.

Other than that it looks ok....Actual Cost to buid would probably be someplace in the $450-500 range USD.

Any serious graphic design you'll need a good workstation. Pay more for a workstation but when you get into animation and graphics you need a min of 4GB DDR2 of RAM. 500GB SAS or TB HDD.

I recommend HP:

xw9400-170x190.jpg

The HP xw9400 Workstation delivers high-end personal workstation performance and advanced visualization for compute-intensive environments. Supporting uncompromised dual PCIe x16 graphics and Dual Core AMD Opteron processors, the HP xw9400 meets the combined needs for computational and visualization power and I/O performance. The HP xw9400 Workstation is delivered in a highly expandable dual-socket chassis featuring an extremely efficient, easy to maintain, tool-less access design.

Which model depends on your budget... Don't get a laptop or desktop, you need the power of Workstation and you'll be happen with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back