Is this worth an exchange ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a P4 2.4 GHz with 512 DDR (400MHz ) running on an Intel 845GBV mobo .

I want to upgrade my pc to 64 bit and this is the final spec I came at :

Asus A8V Deluxe mobo + AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 90nm winchester.

is this a good idea ?

can the mobo be later flashed with some new BIOS version to support 64 bit dual core ? pls advice .

I dont know about the dual core flash (i think a dual core may use a different socket but im not sure on that),but I have just built a 64bit pc for a friend. Its extremely quick but we have encountered many compatability issues.
My advice is to either wait for a while or do extensive research.

To give you an idea of the problems we are having,
Cant find a printer with 64bit drivers.
Cant find a webcam with 64bit drivers.
Cant find 64bit driver for his new digital camera.
Cant find any virtual dvd software that will work.
Some game installers wont run (we got them to work by installing to my 32 bit pc then copying it across).
And many other niggly little things....

rik
Windows 64-bit is still in its test-stadium and has no support whatsoever. Meaning there are hardly drivers available as well.
If you would use standard XP (home & pro) you would not have such problems!

Sandeep
Most current AMD64/S939 mobos can have (or already have) a BIOS update for dual-core (same socket S939 as normal AMD64).
Look for an AMD64/S939/3200 or 3500 with the newer Venice core. San Diego cores are only 3-5% better and cost a lot more.
That A8V supports AGPx8. If you want SLI/PCI-E go for the A8N model.

Yes, rbs speaks sooth, most socket 939 boards merely need a BIOS flash in order to work with dual core CPUs.

For Intel dual core, you will need a 945 chipset at the least. 915/925 will not work for dual core.

thanks for the help guys.

I got that rig and its a beauty . No probs so far on 32 bit XP Pro. :angel:

And the mobo has native dual core support - no flashing needed . The reason for the AGP 8x is that I want to retain my AGP 4X card and thus far they are performing extremely well together .

I am pleased with my choice that is all I can say . :hotbounce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back