Is this worth my money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats up I'm new here. I know that this board is full of need help topics so I'm going to add to the mix. My computer was complete crap, not enough ram and integrated graphics meant that I couldn't play crap as far as games go. I'm getting a new pc in feb (DX10, vista) so I didn't want to breakt he bank. I didn't change the cpu but everything else I upgraded so here's where I'm sitting.

Sempron 1.8 oc'd 1.98. (The bios are locked I had to use clock gen to oc it that much. I can't get it any higher.)

1024 DDR 3200

Nvidia 7600GS 512MB

It runs games pretty well, but not great so here's the question. Is it worth my 100-200 bucks to upgrade my processor(its a socket 754 by the way so I'm pretty limited) I can only go up to something like an Athalon64 2.2-2.4 ghz max. Does my old cpu hold me back that much, or should I save my money for the new computer I'm buying in February? Will I notice enough of a difference to make it worth my money?

I would get a new motherboard w/pci-e x16 slot/s. It will be easier to find better processors for cheap. You can get a motherboard for around $80 that has everything you need. The processor can run from $80 - $150 for a "decent" one. I am more of an Intel Person though, so I don't know much about AMD.

cfitzarl said:
I would get a new motherboard w/pci-e x16 slot/s. It will be easier to find better processors for cheap. You can get a motherboard for around $80 that has everything you need. The processor can run from $80 - $150 for a "decent" one. I am more of an Intel Person though, so I don't know much about AMD.
I can get the processor for around $100 bucks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103010

I was just wondering if one of the AMD gurus could tell me if there would be a big difference between that and my Sempron 3000 1.8ghz

There is a significant difference between the Venice 3400 and your sempron. Also, you can overclock venice much higher than the standard 2.4 GHz.

LipsOfVenom said:
There is a significant difference between the Venice 3400 and your sempron. Also, you can overclock venice much higher than the standard 2.4 GHz.
Thanks for the tip. Another question then...right now my bios has no options that I can adjust to overclock it. Thats because of my mobo right? Thats why I had to get clock gen to overclock as much as I have at this point. When I get the Venice I assume I'll have to update the bios. Will this allow me to overclock it the "normal" way if I choose? I know there's another forum for this but, its on topic.

If I'm not mistaken the socket 754's only have single channel memory, so you also have that to think about. Socket 939's use dual channel ddr and socket AM2 uses dual channel ddr2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back