Issues concerning new build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys,

Having a few issues with my new build.

I have done lots of trouble shooting but cant work out wheather its the motherboard or the CPU

Basicaly, turn PC on and the PSU shorts out for safety reasons.

If I have everything plugged in and take out the 4 PIN connector for the CPU, the PSU fires up.

I have the PSU in my old PC now with the same sort of 4 PIN connector for the CPU (ATX12v) and its working fine. Therefore im sure its not the PSU.

Cant really find much information in the net about this problem.

I have reseated the CPU and the heatsink, does the same. Built the pc outside the case, same thing. So the case is not shorting out the PsU either.

When the 20 + 4 connector and the 4 pin ATX connector are in, and CPU is out. The PSU fires up.

As soon as CPU is installed on mobo, its shorts the PSU.

So dodgy CPU or dodgy MoBo?

Anyone experienced this before!?

Asus M2N-SLi Deluxe (Socket AM2) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.00GHz (Socket AM2) - Retail

Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C4 TwinX (2x1GB)

OCZ stealthxtreme 600w sli ready atx2 PSU

Thanks

If it is firing up when the CPU is out then it isn't the motherboard. I would send back the CPU and get a replacement and see what happens then.

what do you mean by the psu shorts out? do the fans (case, cpu, psu) start spinning then stop?

Have you tried to boot your computer without memory in it? If so, did you get any beep codes? Have you gotten beep codes at all?

Thanks for your quick replies

Sam - Yeah i think it is the CPU as well,

jcee - I have connected a blue led fan to give me a indication of whats happening. Basicaly, hit the power button, Blue LED flashes on and off, fan spins 1/4 a turn. Then nothing - altough the MoBo LED stays on, but thats a safety thing anyway.

Cinders - Yes, memory or no memory, it doesnt make any differance, im now down to 4 components - the mobo, the cpu, psu and a fan, thats all i have connected as anything else doesnt seem to make any diffferance, its all focused around the 4 pin ATX 12v connector and CPU.

Cheers

You got a friend with a spare AM2 processor or motherboard? If you do, you can drop your processor into his computer and see what happens.

if its a new chip send it back get another 1. if it happens again you know its not the cpu. ive got the same cpu theyre not cheap! if you think its faulty you should get a replacement no quarms

Hadnt thought of that one, but I dont think i have anyone with same socket.

Yeah good advice, I will send it back for testing, will keep this thread updated

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back