Issues Installing WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yep, I just finished building a computer and everything went well until there were problems with the hard drive that I was initially going to use. The infamous blue screen came up just after the computer reboots to continue the Windows installation after you format the HD and all and I figure it was the HD. So I grab an older one and it gets far enough to where I'm down to "37 Minutes Left" and then BAM! It's back, that damn blue screen.

I forgot what the screen said the first time with the other HD but I don't even care about that one anymore, I'm more concerned with this one since I got further. Anyways the technical information readout is:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E and so on and so forth
*** portcls.sys - Address and so on and so forth

So yea, I'm building this PC for someone and it'd be great if I could receive some help.

[EDIT]
Oh, sorry, I put this thread here cause I'm wondering if it may have something to do with the mobo or the BIOS or something. Everything I'm building this PC with is new and out of the box save the current HD I'm using.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I have deleted your other thread on this subject. Please don`t start any more threads for this. Thanks.

Did you completely delete all partitions etc before reformatting? Also, did you do a complete format and not a quick format?

Go HERE and run one of the hard drive utilities on the drive. If it checks out ok, do the following.

Disconnect anything not required to run the system. Just leave the mobo/psu/cpu/1 stick of ram/harddrive/graphics card/cd-rom see if that helps.

If not, go HERE and follow the instructions for testing the ram etc.

Let us know the results.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hey, sorry about that.

But yea, how would I go about using those hard drive utilities? I am unable to get to anywhere other than booting from the winxp disc. Everything's new and there is no previous installation of windows.

Also I've used the disc as well as norton partition magic to format the hard drives and they all pretty much have the same problem with the blue screen. Sometimes the blue screen would tell me something about memory or one of them said that there wasn't enough space on the disc. I also recall one of them telling me that there was issues, perhaps, with the BIOS? Something about cache I think.

Download the Maxblast ISO file and burn it to cd as an image. Your burning software will tell you how to burn an image.

Then boot your computer with the Maxblast cd in your cd-rom drive. It should start automatically and you can choose to run various tests on the hard drive.

Regards Howard :)

I tried running the tests but they were unsuccessful. None of them would start and would tell me to contact support.

So I went ahead and used the Western Digital diagnostics tools and it came out with no errors.

What should I do now? So I guess it was a problem with the BIOS or something?

Alrighty, the RAM tests have been going on for about 43 hours and it has passed all 192 of them and is still going on strong. How long is this going to take? Is it safe to assume it's all good, I mean that's a lot of hours and there's no indication of where I'm at or how long I have left.

If the ram and the Hard drive are both ok, then the next thing to consider is either the psu or mobo.

Check the psu is putting out enough power for the system. Pay particular attention to how many amps the psu delivers on the 12volt rail.

Take a look at this psu wattage calculator.

Check the mobo for bulging or leaking capacitors. See HERE for further info.

Check for overheating.

Hardware problems can be notoriously difficult to diagnose.

Did you disconnect anything not required to run the system?

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back