Issues with 6800 Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlutoniumBoy

OK guy's... I have been all over the internet and have posted in countless forums hoping someone has an answer for this mystery that has plagued me for a while now.

Here are the specs of the first PC that started this mess.

//CPU: AMD 64 3200+
//Mobo: MSI Neo Plat.
//PSU: 350W - Stock w/ case
//RAM: 1024 Centon 3200
//GPU: GeForce 6800
//HD: Maxtor 40 Gig
//Audio: Audigy 2 ZS Plat. Pro

So here is the thing... I was getting what seemed to be jittering. No loss in frame rates, just plain ole jittering. At no point in time does the rendering completely stop it just jittered on every setting, with every driver. No matter what I did I couldn't fix it. So I figured the card was bad. I went and got the Ultra edition. Installed it and did the same thing. Well that weeded out that it was a card issue and since I didn't need that much power I returned it and got another plain 6800. Same thing! My next step was to try another mobo. Went with the same MSI just a different one. Same thing! Well ok, maybe CPU is having trouble... went and got the AMD 3700+. Yup, same thing! OK well maybe its a power issue... went with a Aspire gaming case that had a 500W PSU, Same thing!... Left scratching my head I said well it must be a RAM issue... went with Corsair TwinX Pro, same thing! WTF????

OK I have had enough, I went to a Pentium CPU and an Asus mobo... same thing! Went with a new HD - WD Raptor 74, same thing!

I have played with every setting possible; latecy timing's; Arp sizes; AGP rates; FW's + SB's, driver's, OCing + UC'ing, new monitor's, new install's EVERYTHING that I can think of and I can't play on anything other than low setting's. even then I get these jitters. It's like it can't render fast enough or something. I can't figure it out. Yes, I have even tried all this without the same Audio device in the machine and it still does it. My GPU is on IRQ 16 and is not shared. Mouse driver's installed.

Current PC Spec's.

//CPU: P4 3.2 Northwood "F" Family
//Mobo: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
//GPU: 6800 Ultra (again)
//Cooling: Zalman RST1 Water cooled
//RAM: Corsair TwinX 1024x4000 DDR (Dual Channel - Linear)
//PSU: Antec Neo 480W
//HD's: WD SATA Raptor 74G, Maxtor PATA Ultra DMA 250G
//Display: 42" Panasonic Plasma 800x600@70Hz, 19" IBM CRT 1024x768@85Hz

Arp size is 256 (Highest setting for mobo tried lower -made no difference)
AGP Latency 248 (Have set it to 128 and lower - made no difference)
Driver ver. 75.90 (Tried them all - made no difference in my issue)
FW Enabled (Disabled - made no difference)
SB Enabled (No Option to disable - could not force off w/ Rivatuner)

This has got to be the strangest thing I have ever encountered. I need this to be corrected just becuase of the amount of money I have into this thing. I am ready to send the hole dam machine to nVidia and have them figure this out. I wish I could do that anyway.

I have not tried any ATi cards in this machine. I am the only Gamer/PC buff in my network of friends and I dont really want to buy another peice of hardware for this thing.

Any idea's guys? Dumb question I know because I have covered just about everything I can and most of you can think of. But maybe there's a slight chance that someone know of this.

hey....this could be a disturbance issue.maybe there is some elctromagnetic field from anything with a transformer near by or even outside your house.it causes strange behavior like screen wiggle,gaussess etc.try to move your pc around to another place.also try another monitor cable if available or can be removed.have you tried your monitor on another pc or a laptop to check it's not the monitor's fault have you???.check your screen resolution and refresh rate(check if its set to default or any frequency or optimal).do you have any other issue like higher or lower voltage??got a ups???.

well try these,one of them should be the cause..

hope this helps

hey i just though of something are you using a dvi-d cable,dvi-i or a vga cable/interface.is this happening on both your lcd and your plasma or is it more noticeable on one.where are you getting low fps in games or in normal working condition,if in games than which.are you water cooling the graphic card as well.

I have thought of the interference issue. I have moved my PC to different area's and I have a UPS. Do you think maybe the UPS is the issue. It is kind of old.

Also the jitterness happens in all my games i.e; Doom3, Far Cry, Half Life 2, Enter the Matrix.... It also happens when using AquaMark3. Anything that requires high rendering it does this.

Yes, I am water cooling the GPU as well. I went with the water block for the GPU to make sure it was not a heat issue.

Also... The plasma and the CRT are both VGA so I have to use the DVi/VGA converter's. I had an LCD on here and moved it due to vsync'ing issue's. Thats seems to be another problem. I have to use vsync even on my CRT.

ups might be worth a shot especially if its an old one.but no need to buy a new one and get ultra pissed(get it...6800 ultra),try someone elses's ups if you can or a stablizer or something you have available.i know you're gonna hate hearing this but it could be anything,there is no easy way to tell.but why the hell do you have to vsync your monitor????and also you didnt answer what refresh rate your monitor is running on???????.which version of direct x have you got 9.0a,b,or c???????????????.

Well good question on the vsync'ing the monitor. I bought this CRT so I didn't have to. I get the tearing lines across the screen if I don't have it enabled. As far as the refresh, I did answer your question in the original post....lol, its 1024x768@85HZ.

I am running DX9c. I have tried the other versions as well and still no fix.

Again, I am at a loss for words here. I just don't understand this. I will go get another UPS though just to make sure thats not it. Now that you mention it.... my Logitech z5500 5.1 makes a humming noise when turned on. I bet u anything its this UPS.

OK well, never mind... thats not the issue. I have removed the UPS and still no fix. Not sure why I am recieving the hum from from the sub woofer though.

hey...you didnt quote your refresh rate.what you told was the maximum refresh reate and resolution your monitor is available to achieve.check your current refresh rate by going in the advanced page of your display properties page and checking monitor or adapter.

BlutoniumBoy said:
Current PC Spec's.

//CPU: P4 3.2 Northwood "F" Family
//Mobo: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
//GPU: 6800 Ultra (again)
//Cooling: Zalman RST1 Water cooled
//RAM: Corsair TwinX 1024x4000 DDR (Dual Channel - Linear)
//PSU: Antec Neo 480W
//HD's: WD SATA Raptor 74G, Maxtor PATA Ultra DMA 250G
//Display: 42" Panasonic Plasma 800x600@70Hz, 19" IBM CRT 1024x768@85Hz

well try 60hz then

Hey, BlutoniumBoy, did you find what the problem is?
I am having the same strange problem with my radeon 9800. I have changed almost everything and it still has the same problems.
I have a Dell inspiron 9100 laptop. It stutters like mad when moving left-right without v-sync on.
I have even ordered a new inspiron 9100 to see if it has the same problem with the intent to start replacing parts if it worked and return it, but the new one doesn't work either. And it is not an interfearence issue, cause is it a laptop and I have played games at a lot of places.
It drives me nuts!!!!!
I have read about other people having the same issues and they replace everything and still doesn't work. It is a mystery, like the bermuda triangle. Maybe we have been abducted by aliens and there is an implant in our bodies that interferes with the graphics card. :suspiciou

Blutonium I saw on your new system specs that you had a water cooling system on your computer. Well just 2 let u know that water cooling is dangerous beacuse If it starts 2 leek then u r F****D. Just thought I would mention this.

Good Luck :wave: :wave: :wave:

Sebastian

Bad ground ?

How old is the house that you live in ? Its a long shot but maybe you are picking up some kind of interfernce from the wiring in your house itself. Bad grounds are not that uncommon especially in older houses.

I mean you appearantly know what your doing PC wise, that isnt an issue in question.

Try taking your pc with you to work or a friends house and hook it up there, see if you have the same issues. Because you should not no matter what be having the issues you are having. It is in the 1000's that you would experience the same problem with a totally different system as you did with your original.

Try different monitors also. Even pick up a fricken 15 inch crt from a parts store for 10 bucks and try that out. I am almost positive that it will work outside your house and if it dont you will atleast have tries another step in trouble shooting your problem.

By the way WTF do you do for a living ? You seem to have a ton of cash laying around for PC Parts lol........:D

Im betting that it has somthing to do with the wiring in your house.

Might Fix Problem

Hey everyone,

I bought my 6800 Ultra a little under a year ago with the same jittery/freezing/missing pixel problem, but only when I did highly demanding games. I almost returned the card, but then figured out how to fix it with a lot of searching of the web. Anyways here it is... and I hope this helps.

You will first need to download nTune (Link Below), which is an overclocking program distributed by Nvidia for thoughs who don't know. The problem lies within the 2d and 3d conversions while gaming/demanding graphics are taking place. While playing games the GPU has to use both 2d and 3d graphics to create the environments. The 6800 Ultra, and I'm pretty sure all of them are setup like this have 2d graphics set at 400mhz, and 3d graphics set at 425. So while doing whatever your doing there is a conflict generated. Either you can set 2d at 425mhz or 3d at 400mhz and balance the two. It fixed my problem and I'm sure it can for you all too. Just remember to set your profiles up to keep changing to your new setting for DirectX and OpenGL. GL to ya'll. Later.

nTune Link : http://www.nvidia.com/object/sysutility.html

here is another, ok your card is probably over clocked. so you need to get a tweek program to turn down the settings.

i used Riva Tuner. get it here
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=13

after you install the program go to \main\driver settings(forceware detected)\customize\system settings

bring the Core clock down to 400 and the memory clock down to 1100.

i havent had a freeze up since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back