Issues with intermittent Freezes and DVD Writer not appearing in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I recentely purchased a new Athlon64 3500 and a KT8 Platinum NEO2 motherboard and assembled these along with equipment I still had from my previous computer.

What happens is that very frequentely my machine freezes with nothing else to do that to reset the system. Typically it freezes on the Windows XP startup page.

I thought it might had something to do with my KVM switch (for some reason) but since I noticed that my fairly new Philips DVD writer intermittentely doesn't show up in my Windows XP I am suspecting that to be the cause. When this happens I even can't open the drive using the button, but a light is burning so it must have power.

Do you guy's have any idea to what might be causing the system to freeze or the DVD writer not to show up in XP. Hopefully someone has seen this before and can save me some valuable time.

Could a lack of power be the cause? It's simple but newly purchased 300W power supply?

I upgraded the BIOS to the latest release but it didn't resolve the problem.
The DVD writer is connected as a master device to the onboard IDE controller. I have a SATA drive connected to it's onboard SATA1 controller.
The OS is currentely XP32

Thank you for reading this..

Sincerely,
Tonino Bruno
Belgium

Welcome.

If the PSU was Fortron or Sparkle, 300W might be enough. I'd pick a 480W+ PSU, so I could upgrade to anything.

Did you uninstall previous mobo drivers?

Hi,

I guess it's a cheap noname brand PSU... Do you believe that lack of PSU power might cause these kinds of effects even if it seems that the device is powered...

And yes I reinstalled my OS on the new SATA disk, so there isn't anything legacy on there..

thank you for your reply...

Sincerely,
Tonino Bruno
Belgium

Lack of power can cause all sorts of unexpected things. Mostly relating to peripherals like optical drives, video cards, etc. Because when they start working, they draw more power than they are idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back