Issues with my firefox, when I visit a certain sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chelsie

The past few days I've been having some issues with my firefox. When I visit a certain site, xanga, on firefox its all messed up. Just basically all the links, no background image what so ever. But when I visit it on IE its fine.
I've already re-installed Firefox, thinking that that might have something to do with it but it didnt.
The same thing happens with certain pictures and background images. What I cant see on firefox or whats messed up on firefox isnt on IE.
Any help would be much appreciated.
I've also attatched my HJT log incase its something to do with that.
Any help would be completely appreciated.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode. See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

relocater.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O23 - Service: Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Relocator (RpcRelocator) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\relocater.exe (file missing)

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\WINDOWS\relocater.exe

Reboot into normal mode and turn system restore back on.

Post a fresh HJT log.

Regards Howard :)

Okay. Did it all.
Xanga is still throughly messed up as are other websites that I can see perfectly fine in IE.
Re-downloaded firefox and that didnt make a difference, either.
Fresh HJT log attatched.

Did you find the relocator.exe file?

If so, were you able to delete it? Take a look again and see if the file is still there.

Your Firefox problems may be caused by missing plugins such as flash player/java etc.

Using Firefox go to the Macromedia site and download and install the flash player, then go to the Java site and install java.

Your HJT log is clean apart from this entry, which should be fixed.

O23 - Service: Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Relocator (RpcRelocator) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\relocater.exe (file missing)

Uh, no. Everytime I hit fix checked to fix that one, and then run a new hijack this log, its still there.
Oh, and no, I couldnt find the relocator.exe in windows.
I downloaded java and flash player yet nothing changed lol. I dont know whats going on but its beginning to annoy me.
I can still see them with IE but not with firefox.

Click start/run and type services.msc into the run box and press the enter key.

When the window appears, maximise it. Double click on the following services(if there) and select stop if they are running. Set the startup type to disabled. Click apply/ok for each service you disable.

Look for the following service. RpcRelocator

Close the services window.

Then run HJT and see if that entry is still there.

Okay, its gone now =].
Still, the problem with my firefox persists.
Any help with that would be much appreciated.
Thank you very, very much :)

Can you give me some of the url`s to the sites you`re having problems with?

Then I can see if I have problems with those sites as well.

There are a few sites that Firefox won`t work with. This is usually cause by the site using ActiveX controls, which Firefox doesn`t support.

Sure.
The only site thats all messed up, the main front-page is
www.xanga.com

Everyone else that I know whos using Firefox seems to be able to see it fine lol so it seems that Firefox just hates me.
And some icons/pictures wont show up either unless I re-name the file and re-upload it or something, then it shows.

That`s wierd.

I can see that site with no problems.

Click file, then import and choose IE.

See if that helps at all.

Hah, I really dont know whats going on.
I still cant see it, even after I did that.
Oh well, thanks for your help anyways :)

Chelsie said:
I've already re-installed Firefox, thinking that that might have something to do with it but it didnt.
Did you fully uninstall FF before reinstalling it ? Probably won`t make much difference,but it`s best to do it properly -

To uninstall Firefox, its settings and remaining files, first save a copy of your bookmarks.
Go to Bookmarks/Manage bookmarks/File/Export/bookmarks.htm and save.

Next, remove Firefox using the Add/Remove Software utility in Windows.

Then delete the Firefox settings and files.
To do that, delete the folder "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox."

As HERE

Yep, that I did.
I dunno.
Xanga must just be hating me today.
Thanks you two, very much =]

Its okay.
Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it greatly.
I'd be lost without you guys lol.
:)
Psh. Well, NOW I can see it all.
That was rather annoying.

Just because now I'm paranoid, I've run a fresh HJT log which is attached. Please take a look at it and just tell me if everythings clean lol.
Thank you much =]

I'm keeping my other problem in here.
But.
I was looking at my add/remove programs today when and I noticed that I have BearShare in there.
I havent had Bearshare in quite a long time because it slowed down my computer.
But when I click on the button that says add/remove I get a pop-up that says "Could Not Open INSTALL.LOG file" So I click okay and the pop-up goes away.
I dont know why thats still in there....but I do want it removed.
I've attatched my HJT log.
Any help, again, would be appreciated.
:)

Have HJT fix the following entries.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BearShare] "C:\Program Files\BearShare\BearShare.exe" /pause

O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\system32\NavLogon.dll

Click on the fix checked button.

Now see if you can uninstall Bearshare. Also make sure you have no Norton entries in your add remove programmes. If you have, uninstall them.

Okay.
Bearshare is gone and a fresh HJT log is attatched.
Also, in my add/remove programs I have:
LiveUpdate 2.0 (Symantec Corporation)
Symantec AntiVirus

Should I uninstall both of those?
Yes, I feel dumb asking this because I'm almost sure that those are Norton but I cant remember.
So, I'll ask lol

Your HJT log is clean.

Yes, you should uninstall anything to do with Symantec/Norton. This is because you are using AVG, and you should not have more than one antivirus programme active on your system. This can cause conflicts. Also, Symantec/norton crapware is a real resource hog.

Alrighty.
Thank you very, very much.
Honestly, I'd be lost without you guys here.
Thanks much :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back