It powers on, but not for long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specs are as follows:

Core 2 Quad Q6600
4 GB G.Skill RAM
GeForce 8800 GTX 768 MB
ASUS P5N32-E SLI 680i MoBo

So, I get this puppy in, put it together, and power it on. Not 30 seconds to a minute in it shuts off, no warning. At first I thought it was bad connectivity so I checked, re-checked. Alas, no dice. then I began testing the RAM and so forth. No matter what combo of RAM I use, whether it be one stick, both, or none, I get the same result.

So I test to see if it's the video card, sound card, everything I can think of. I even bought a second PSU, but still no dice.

Also, during the connection of the second PSU, I forgot the CPU power plug, the 4/8 Pin guy. The PC retained power, but wouldn't shut off unless I did so via turning off the PSU. And, of course, it didn't boot at all.

It powers on, lasts for a minute, shuts off. No chance for me to install any OS or anything. So. After I fool with it some more, switching things to different slots, etc. etc. I finally make it to the BIOS and see a brief error message. Something along the lines of "System interfered: Chassis opened ..... tempered with." Not sure what all it said because it immediately shut off.

I've been dealing with this for 3 days, trying loads of things. Everything is seemingly fine. No signs of overheating or anything. Yet it still refuses to cooperate.

My nerves are shot. I have a ton of school work to get done and was hoping this computer would help me in a lot of it (Photoshop/Maya projects, etc.) I need this guy working before Tuesday and Wednesday.

Any clue on what my trouble may be?

Any solutions?

ensure your ram is on the compatibility list by brand/type. Is your BIOS up to date? Did you break it down to as simple as possible? Ram/mobo/power? Is your cooling sufficient?

Even if the BIOS isn't up to date, it barely stays on long enough to do anything. Plus I haven't any OS installed yet because of this dumb little problem.

I did break it down to as simple as possible, and cooling shouldn't be a problem as I have 2 90mm and 2 120mm with a 25cm fan on the side panel.

I'm not sure of what to do here, and I refuse to call the Geek Squad, I'm broke enough as it is.

Are you sure you put thermal paste on the cpu between the HSF/CPU interface?
What wattage is your PSU and how many amps on the 12V rail?

Well if you don't recall you prob didn't do it. It a thick white paste. You should put a paper thin layer over the entire top of the cpu before installing the Heast sink fan (hsf).

If you didn't the cpu will overheat in under a minute and shut down, just like your symptoms. Thermal paste cost like <$5. Ask for Arctic Silver.

See I've never had to apply thermal paste before, this is new to me. I'll be buying some today for sure.

Now there is a small grey paste-ish thing on top of the CPU, mind you this is without me tampering with anything. Could this be paste that came with the processor? Pre-applied, if you will? It's shaped like a circle cut into thirds.

I'll scrape and clean off the paste that came with the CPU and reapply Arctic Silver to see if it will help.

Well, this fixed it, the PC retains power and I'm able to do everything I want.

Except install Windows Vista and it work properly. It installs fine, but when it attempts to boot I get a flash of the BSOD and a stop error, followed by a reset.

What now?

Im getting the same thing! I believe it is 0x000007E or 7B, it is very quick. In safe mode I get to crcdisk.sys.

Fried cpu

your computer is turning off like that because it is overheating. If its not to late make sure your CPU fan is screwed down tight. It might already be to late though you might have to get a new chip.

guitto: you might want to take that problem to the OS forums, as many peeps have problems installing Vista and getting it to run the first few trys.

"The Stop 0x7B message indicates that Windows XP has lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware typically causes stop 0x7B errors"

Now that's for XP, so I'm not sure if Vista has changed it's stop code definitions. But this is exactly the kind of thing that happens. Mobo drivers not updated to Vista's liking and thus the OS can't find storage adapter hardware and stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back