Its all going wrong....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

A few days ago I think I contracted a virus - I turned on the PC and the screen was covered in adware, pop-ups and the like. One of those being alluded to was W32.myzor.FK@yf. I was also bombarded with antivirus software adverts telling me that my system had been infected with a number of other viruses.

Having done a quick search, I have followed a number of procedures on this site (those based in the sticky threads). I have scanned the PC using a number of tools, some of which have found a few things which have subsequently been removed but nothing that looked too major. It was a bit diturbing though that my own Anti-virus software (McAffee/Norton) picked up nothing....

However, I am left with two problems. First, is the machine occasionally makes random sounds for no apparent reason. Second, and more disturbing is that the systems keeps freezing. Its like it functions fine for about a minute, at which point everything just stops for about 2 minutes. This repeats over and over again. A look at the task manager does not show any unusual movement when things are frozen. Its so bad that it has taken me about 10 hours now over 2 nights to complete the few tests in the sticky threads.

Please help.

Attached are the logs that are required.

Many thanks.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Have HJT fix all 016-DPF entries, except for any Microsoft/Windows entries.

As far as I can see, your HJT log is clean.

You shouldn`t be running two antivirus programmes. This will slow your system down and may cause software conflicts.

Add to that the fact that both your antivirus programmes are crap and it`s no wonder your system is running slow.

I recommend you download the Free AVG antivirus programme and either the free Zonealarm, or the free Kerio firewall programmes from HERE, HERE and HERE.

Then, disconnect from the net and uninstall both Mcaffe and Symantec/Norton from add remove programmes in your control panel. You will need to uninstall these programmes in several pieces, rebooting your system inbetween. Once you have completely uninstalled both programmes do the following.

Reboot your system and install whichever firewall you chose, followed by AVG. Reboot your system the required number of times and reconnect to the net. Run the AVG updates.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Do a full system scan with AVG and delete whatever it finds.

Reboot into normal mode and turn system restore back on.

Let me know how your system is running.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

hi howard.
i tend to follow your post with hjt's in the hope that i may learn something from you ;) . i have noticed that a lot if not most of the hjt's show that norton is in use as prime av programme. not saying that its all nortons fault that these people are here looking for help, well anyway thats my observation.. i remeber a quote i seen somewhere on here, and that was, "your pc is only as safe as the fool that clicks the mouse makes it"

Hiya mate.

As far as I`m concerned Symantec/Norton crapware is the worst antivirus programme out there, closly followed by Mcafee. While it is true that no antivirus programme can keep you safe from clicking on the wrong things, those two programmes seem good at finding viruses and then not being able to kill them.

Add to that the way they hog so many system resources and slow your computer down and I wouldn`t recommend those programmes to my worst enemy.

The only reason they are so popular is due to the marketing strategies used and the fact that most people haven`t a clue about security.

Regards Howard :)

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Regarding AV software - you're right - I started with Norton simply because that was bundled. I now have remote access for work purposes, and they require Mcaffee - at which point I took off Norton. When things blew up at the weekend I ran a McCafee scan and it picked nothing up - in desperation I put back the Norton to see if it would do any good - but it was similarly poor. The Norton will be coming back off but I think I have to leave the McCaffee for the remote applications to work.

However, that said, I'll run through all your tips and report back because I know that something, somewhere, is wrong.......

Thanks.

everyone that i know that has bought a pc ready to operate has had norton or McAfee bundled with it. it must be at least 75% to 80% of new pc's like that.

get a copy of Spybot Search & Destroy.

It will run in User or Admin but best if you login on the latter.

use the Mode menu to set advanced

on the left side at the bottom is a Tools Button -- use it.

1) System Startup will give you control of autostart processes and
you can disable/enable without causing damage.

2) Winsock LSPs can be found and some that are not 'nice' can be deleted

3) System Internals, followed by the Check spy glass in the menu bar
finds inconsistencies for the registry to the files they control --
very useful for debugging!

there's more; these are germane to your issues

Hi,

I followed everything last night and now, thankfully, all is well.....Thanks a lot.

I am not sure what the problem was. As I mentioned the computer wasn't just slow continuously. I just stopped and started, and this symptom was there before I installed the second AV package and immediately after being infected.....Anyway, both have now been binned in favour of the packages you recommend.....

Thanks for all your help on this one......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back