iTunes and external hard drive problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I am hoping that someone can help me to eliminate a problem I am having getting my Itunes music Library transfered from my c drive to my new external Hard drive.

I have tried this several times to no avail, and it is driving my crazy. Okay so here is the deal. I have a 120 gig dell PC and am running Windows XP and the newest version of Itunes(7.0.etc) and have hooked up a 250 gig Iomega External Hard drive and am running it with a Firewire.

So I looked up how to do this on the internet and it seemed so easy. I followed the step by step directions on how to transfer. Copy Itunes folder to the External, Go to preferences and change to appropriate locate, consolidate library and be done.

Now I was able to do this with no problem at first. Everything seemed fine and then I started to getting these corrupt file messages that asks me to run a chckdsk utility. I had already started removing my files by this point and have lost the A's and B's.

Anyway, what I realized is that when I try to upload a new disc onto the external it somehow erases the path of all my other music. It is on there but I can't get to it.

If anyone has experienced this before, please help me out I am extremely frustrated.

Thanks,
Matt

Move the music from within windows to where you want it. Fire up iTunes and delete the playlists or just delete all the songs in them, making sure you don't physically delete them, just have them removed from playlist.

Then highlight the files at their new location from in Windows and drag to the iTunes playlist, that should work fine.

External hard drive and itunes. Please help!

I recently made the mistake of just trying to transfer my music files to an external hard drive. I didn't know that it would pull all of my music off of my itunes and erase my saved playlists. I am not too computer savy. I'm hoping to remedy that. In the mean time if there is anyone that can help me to restore my itunes back to its original format. Thanks for the help.

Charlie
Atlanta, GA.

If you move your Itunes location don't you need to set the new location in the Advanced tab of Edit Preferences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back