iTunes problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai

iPod/1394 adaptor problem

Hi

Recently due to mass spyware problems I upgraded to SP2 and since then iTunes has not been able to detect my iPod when I connect it. When I connect it to the cable connected to my comupter it communicates with my computer but cannot be detected by iTunes.

I upgraded iTunes to the latest version in hopes that that would help but it didn't. I also made sure that the windows firewall was turned off and that made no difference. I also turned off Kaspersky anti-virus protection just to be sure and that made no difference as well.

Can anyone help me?

Edit: I have changed the title to reflect that I dont think its an iTunes problem and more so an iPod/1394 adaptor problem. Its not just iTunes that cannot detect my iPod as windows explorer doesnt detect my iPod either.

Also is there any chance that this topic could be moved to a more relevant section of the forums and have the official title changed to "iPod/1394 adaptor problem" or should i just create a new topic?

If your songs are on your computer too, you could download and run the iPod Updater from Apple. That might force something on it that the new iTunes will recognise.

I've tried the updater and it still cannot detect that iPod even though its plugged in.

:(

Do u have RealPlayer? See if that detects ur iPod. Go to Transfer/Burn and from the pull down menu select ur iPod if it shows.
BTW, does it show up in My Computer?

Real Player and My Computer cant detect it however on the bottom right hand corner of the task bar there is the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon and clicking on that allows me to safely remove the iPod. That shouldnt be appearing should it? Considering that nothing is even detecting it?

Or could it be the USB port your using? Try connecting another USB cable into the same port (or try a different port), see if that works! If it does you know its your IPod cable!!

Ive had a problem with the Computer not knowing ive plugged a USB cable in! So i just restarted the comp! Worked fine!

Its not a USB port connection. Its connected via a firewire card or whatever its called with a strange looking connection for the iPod cable that came with the iPod.

So I can't test the cable anywhere else or test any other cable in that port.

:(

Unless its like a 1st, 2nd or 3rd? gen iPod it should have came with both Firewire and USB cable (new ones don't have firewire at all). Check the box it came in and make sure you don't have a USB cable for it.

I know my 4th gen with the click wheel came with both firewire and usb.

I not 100% sure which gen it is but it definetly didn't come with a USB cable. I think its a 2nd gen.

You should also note that the newer iPods no longer support Firewire. You can only charge the iPod via the Firewire cable but it cannot transfer files to or from the computer with it.

You should also note that the newer iPods no longer support Firewire. You can only charge the iPod via the Firewire cable but it cannot transfer files to or from the computer with it.

Its not the newer ones, its an older one.

Originally I had 2 problems. This current one and my printer using a USB connection wasn't printing properly. Both of these problems occured after upgrading to SP2.

My printing problems have been fixed by https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic52035.html deleting my USB driviers and letting windows reinstall them simply by restarting windows after deleting the USB drivers.

However as my iPod is on Firewire (1394 net adaptor) deleting the USB drivers did nothing to fix my iPod problem. I have tried deleting my 1394 adaptor drivers and letting windows reinstall them but that didnt fix my problem.

This is the most current bit of information. Can anyone provide new advice based on this information?

Both my daughter & I have an iPod mini & we've both had similar problems with PC not seeing these devices. We're not sure how we fixed the problem though. One day iTunes started seeing each device - as far as I'm aware no updates were installed and we didn't muck about with ports, USB connections.
I think iTunes is just bleedin' temperamental.
Currently I cannot see 75% of the songs on the iPod but they're there according to iTunes and Explorer and Winamp. The playlists in which I had "stored" the songs have all gone walkabout - the songs seems to be in a root directory on the iPod but that's a guess. I'm laboriously trying to re-create the (sequentially numbered) playlists just for ease of use and will attempt to "store" the "lost" songs back in playlists.
FYI Winamp can copy songs on iPod to pc hard drive - I then back up the hdd to an external hdd so I haven't lost the songs (most are mine anyway from my CD collection).
Socceroos, Soc-Socceroos! ;)

I was having the same problem and did the following and it started to work.
-- Right click My Computer --> Manage --> Disk Management
-- Right click on the iPod and click on "change drive letters and paths"
-- Click "Change" and assign a new drive letter I choose "I" for iPod.

I think this may have to do with connecting other flashdrives to the computer anbd the other flash drive taking a drive letter. This happened to a buddy of mine with a Sony VIAO. since he had one of the 7 in 1 media readers we had to change the drive letter of his PDA to get it to work correctly. I do know this worked for me.

hope it helps,
iPodder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back