I've lost IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denise Plaskett

For several years now I've been using the SBC Yahoo browser to access the internet. However, from time to time I would like to use IE but even though the icon is on my desktop, when I click on it, nothing ever comes up. My desktop is running Windows XP and other users on this home computer (other family members) can get IE to come up just fine.

I figure some registry setting got messed up. How can I fix this? I'm hoping when I get this fixed that I'll also be able to download the newest Yahoo browser--the couple of times I've attempted this, it gets hung in the installation. So I usually just abort and forget about it for a while.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Try this.

Delete the IE icon on your desktop. Right click on an empty part of your desktop and select properties. Click on the desktop tab and then the customize desktop button. Under desktop icons, tick the internet explorer box, click ok/apply/ok.

This will have put a new icon on your desktop. See if that helps.

Regards Howard :)

Didn't help.

I don't even get anything when I double click on C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe.

What should I try now?

on the command line type iexplorer

I suggest downloading firefox and then downloading the IE Tab extension

Try downloading and installing IE from HERE.

There are two versions available IE6 sp1 and IE7. If you`re not already using IE7 download the IE6 version.

Regards Howard :)

OK, this got a little messy but I think its all good now.

I tried to download the IE6 that I'd been using, but the installation said it found a later version of IE on my computer and so IE6 would not download.

So I took the plunge and downloaded IE7. The install went OK. However, upon first startup it never connected and would hang the computer.

I looked at more info on the Microsoft website and thought it might be a problem with add-ons. When I did the IE7 startup from All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/IE7 (with no add-ons) it would come up just fine. So I decided to disable all of the add-ons that were in my list (there were a bunch, many with no descriptions at all). Then I could startup IE7 just fine.

It also now allows me to use the new Yahoo Mail application. So I'm looking pretty good right now.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back