Japanese airport introduces toilet roll for smartphones

midian182

Staff member

Have you ever wished that bathroom stalls came with a second toilet roll dispenser containing paper designed specifically for your smartphone? Probably not. But if you ever visit the arrival halls of Japan’s Narita Airport, that’s exactly what you’ll find.

Rather than being made for some type of secret human/smartphone biological abomination, the paper can be used to clean your smartphone’s screen after you answer the call of nature.

The whole thing may seem a bit weird, but it’s a pretty good idea. Smartphone displays can hold 20 times as many bacteria as a toilet seat; not surprising, given that around 65 – 75 percent of owners admit to using their handsets while in the bathroom to check social media, message friends, and even make phone calls.

The mini toilet roll dispensers were installed in 86 stalls across seven restrooms by Japanese phone operator NTT Docomo last Friday, where they will stay until the promotion ends next March. The paper, which includes the message “Welcome to Japan,” informs visitors of the nationwide wi-fi service and suggests they install a particular travel guide app that features voice translation.

As noted in the famous Simpsons episode, Japan has a reputation for its technologically advanced toilets. Many public restrooms are fitted with heated seats that fire jets of warm water and air. Additionally, The Guardian points out that some women’s public restrooms feature a Sound Princess – a device that produces loud flushing noises to cover any embarrassing sounds. Japanese women often flush toilets to camouflage noises, but the sound princess saves water and is quicker and easier to activate.

The country’s newest toilet models have a deodorizing function and intelligent seat lids that can rise automatically depending on whether a male user is going to be standing up or sitting down during his stay. Japan: the best place in the world to go to the bathroom.

Permalink to story.

You know what... Japanese toilets sounds awesome, you know that by the culture everything will be pristine so this doesn't sound that weird -being public you know-:
Many public restrooms are fitted with heated seats that fire jets of warm water and air.
I think I need to invest a bit more on my bathroom... I would really dig something like that.
Edit: Sorry... on topic... I'm used to cleaning my device every couple of days with a lysol cloth or whatever, sometimes less often than a couple of days... I should probably do it now :)

Cool. But I think they overestimate the general public's intelligence. More people will pull that paper through their cracks thinking "Are they trying to save on paper..." They wouldn't even notice the big sineage around that little roll and even if they did, they'd just say "screw it, I don't have to pay for it". Hell, some people don't even know what a regular roll of toilet paper is used for.

Cool. But I think they overestimate the general public's intelligence. More people will pull that paper through their cracks thinking "Are they trying to save on paper..." They wouldn't even notice the big sineage around that little roll and even if they did, they'd just say "screw it, I don't have to pay for it". Hell, some people don't even know what a regular roll of toilet paper is used for.

Ha, yeah pretty much.

Methinks you are viewing that from your own lense tough. The standard of education is pretty high in Japan.

Ha, yeah pretty much.

Methinks you are viewing that from your own lense tough. The standard of education is pretty high in Japan.
I thought about this and was about to reply the same, but if it's in a Japanese Airport, it's bound to have travellers and outsiders to Japanese costumes. After all, there is a reason why a lot of things are very advanced over there.

That's all very typical Japanese cleanliness like common toilets that wash your bottom and electric toilet seats and some heated toilet seats and wash and dry your bottom toilets and if you get busy with a Japanese woman over there be prepared to get bathed or bathe first and maybe looked at for anything unhealthy . ☺

Remarkable folks over there regardless of how one may feel about all this .

Ha, yeah pretty much.

exactly we should have education like Japan or even what we had in 1950's and 1960's in some public schools and the Japan ~ k-12 schooling often extends beyond a 5 day week

They mostly indoctrinate alt-left liberal ideals,nonsense , bias and intolerance at American schools and colleges now with the revisionist history or no civics and history all that implies ☺

Last edited:
Back