Jedi Graphics Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

cogenmaster

Damn but Jedi Outcast is fun but it sure is system hog. I was wondering if you other wanna be Jedi's were experiecing the same. Using the cg_draw fps 1 command I get around 30-50 fps at 1024x768 32bit color. Have texture detail and geometric detail both at high. Volumetric shadows at simple. Setting the texture detail to very high lowers my frame fate average to the 30's. I was getting 80-90 FPS in Wolfenstein so I was kinda of expecting the same results in Jedi, I guess there must just be a lot more details being rendered. At any rate I was just curious what other players system were doing.

Soyo Dragon Plus
AMD 1700
Vistiontek Geforce 3 Ti200 OC'd @ 465memory 215Core 2x AA
(Prior Voodoo5 owner can't play without the AA just to ugly)
Sound Blaster Live
512 DDR2100
Maxtor 30gig 7200
Detonator 28.32
Win XP

Watch out for Thomas' take on the game (review) in about an hour on the site, he posted some benchmarks numbers with different settings for testing performance hit. :grinthumb

Using the cg_draw fps 1 command I get around 30-50 fps at 1024x768 32bit color.
Stewth! And you have GF3ti200. I've just got GF4mx 440.Don't like my chances of a silky gameplay.
I was getting 80-90 FPS in Wolfenstein
.Do they use the same engine?

oh, and uh... i cant seem to go there with the link, julio.... it says "the page cannot be displayed" ... :(

... i also cant reach the techspot homepage.... must be some heavy traffic!

I haven't played the game, but something I've noticed in other games is the horrible effect of shadow complexities... They always seem to to reduce frame rates a lot, even when simple. Try turning them off completely and see how much extra fps it gives you.

Also, your "low" fps might be contributed to the inefficiency of the programming involved.. If I'm not mistaken though, it's built off of another popuar gaming engine, right? Which makes this less likely.

If you have the option, try toggling between Direct 3D and OpenGL renderers. I usually find Direct 3D faster, but sometimes OpenGL can offer a little edge.

Jedi Knight 2 is built on the Quake 3 engine, and so will only run in OpenGL anyway. Try switching to 16bit colour, and then see if its any better.

Good Advice

Thanks

Overall I am pleased with the perfromance of the game will single player for sure. Have to turn off the eye candy some in multi, you need every frame you can get in the light saber duals.

Like Thomas said the puzzles can be annoying but I think in a way they increase the value of the game. You pay 50 bucks for a game you would like to play it for more than a week before you beat it.

I'd rather have puzzles than those damn snipes in Metal of Honor, I almost gave it up on that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back