Just a quick note...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Promise to keep it short this time. You will want to know, I have removed all pops from the frontpage... before this change you should have been getting one pop every 24 hours or so but now I have decided to remove them completely from appearing on our frontpage with the only purpose of promoting our news readership, we want you to visit us everyday, enjoy our news and comment them!

So there you go, the rest of the site will remain with one/two pops that shouldn't appear too often, I have done some math and that's the best solution for covering our bills for now.

Oh, and did I already tell you that I want you to use the comment feature? :D

Thank gawd !

I visit everyday but months ago I had to get a popup blocker to stop my taskbar from filling up. Now I can back it off a tad.

:p

Sweet, I love the no pops! I was a more-than-once-a-day reader but it was a real hassle closing all the pop ups before getting on with the excellent reading.

Well I figure sense you mentioned the comments section TWICE, I would post here. I use a pop up blocker so I never noticed the pop ups... but I bet it will help out other people who arent as smart as I am and dont have a blocker.

Why don't you (Julio and all the rest in charge) keep the pop ups to get extra money on the side to help the site become better. Im not sure how extra money will benefit the site, but I didn't mind the popups, since alot of other sites have them, and some other popular sites FORCE you to view their ads. So at least the popups were minimized which didnt bother me at all.

Of course that's the idea behind pop unders so they are the least intrusive posible while still being a pop which unfortunately seems to have become a popular ad format and advertisers seem to like it as well.

Perhaps if we had got a few other targeted buys we wouldn't be running any pops but that's not the case, so I'm just trying to bring balance.

For those of you who are running blockers, well, I can't endorse its use, then there would be no point of having them up (the pops), it's up to you what you use in your computer, I know there is a widespread use of annoying IN-YOUR-FACE pops that somewhat obey you to use blockers, but then again you have your favourite sites using them for a good cause... it's your call ! ;)

A few pop-ups never hurt anyone IMO, especially if it is from a communtiy online where you frequent. If it helps keep the site alive, then they serve a purpose. If everyone uses pop-up blockers then the pops aren't doing their job, so the site could go under. Just something to think about.

It would be good if they could at least detect where your IP is from and not constantly advertise US only offers to me :)

Reducing the pop ups is a nice treat for you to give to us Julio. Just hope you know that we would all have endured them for the good of the site and if they need to be re-introduced at any point then we won't be going anyway just because of a few adverts. Nice work though, hope you weren't up until your usual 5-6 am working on this though, you need your sleep! ;)

It helps a lot on this machine I'm using to surf ( 32mb of Ram :dead: ).

One pop-up isn't too bad though. I don't think removing them completely would the best solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back