Just got DSL but I cant use it on of my computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLZ286

So we got dsl a few weeks ago. It was easy to install on my laptop, just hook up the modem to the computer and that was it. Now I tried to put it on my parents computer but its not working. The modem we got has 5 ethernet ports in the back so what I did was hook up the ethernet cable to one of them and ran it to the back of my parents computer. When I hooked up the cable to the computer the thing "Local area connection is now connected" came on like always but the two little monitors that it always shows were black. It also showed 0 sent and 0 recieved in the packets section. I made sure all the cables were right, I know the other ports on the modem work because i've used them for my 360 before but i just cant figure out how to get it to work on the other computer.

What is the IP address, default gateway and subnet of both computers that are plugged in?

Start > Run. Type cmd and press [enter]. Type ipconfig and press [enter]

perhaps you did't set the IP address and the default gateway on your parents pc

if you set the above ,try to PING the gateway and see the returned info

do you have a firewall or anti virus

try and disable those and see if you get connection

this happind to me a while back and it was from a firewall blocking the incomming singnal

You could be trapped by your ISP -- let me explain.
Some ISPs capture the MAC address of the system first attached. When
you subscribed to the service, your account was primed for the first attachment.
Any subsequent relocation will then fail as your account is associated with
the MAC of the first system, not your parent's system.

It's just like using MAC filtering on a multiport router.

jobeard said:
You could be trapped by your ISP -- let me explain.
Some ISPs capture the MAC address of the system first attached. When
you subscribed to the service, your account was primed for the first attachment.
Any subsequent relocation will then fail as your account is associated with
the MAC of the first system, not your parent's system.

It's just like using MAC filtering on a multiport router.

This is a good suggestion. The answer to this would be be to change the MAC address of your router, which is a feature most home routers support. You would then 'clone' your computer's MAC address. You'll be able to do so via the web admin utility, which is probably 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. Consult your manual for the appropriate details.

DSL? Hmmm.... unlike high speed cable internet, dsl is not always connected. With a dsl connection your computer has to be set up to give a username and password. Your laptop is probably set up to do this automatically. Go to the control panel and click on network connections. Create a new connection, click on the one that says connect to the internet, click on the one that says set up my connection manually, click on connect using a broadband connection that requires a username and password, type your complete username i.e. johndoe@sbcglobal.net and your password and you should be ready to go.

bigcal916 said:
DSL? Hmmm.... unlike high speed cable internet, dsl is not always connected. With a dsl connection your computer has to be set up to give a username and password.

This isn't really correct. What bigcal916 is referring to is PPPOE, which is commonly used by DSL providers, but is also frequently replaced in favor of the fully automatic DHCP protocol (commonly used by cable & DSL).

PPPOE requires authentication, but this should be negotiated by your router. Once authenticated, your router will keep you online and both computers will be able to use the Internet simultaneously. You will be unable to share your Internet through your router if you're succesfully attempting to dial up manually using the XP PPPOE dialer (for example).

Even though PPPOE was not described correctly, it is a worthy to point out only your router should be negotiating your DSL login (If you have a user name and password) and not your computer.

Ok, I was trying to keep it simple. Don't know where you live JLZ, but here in Houston most, if not all of the dsl subscribers, require username and password (PPPOE), which is not supplied by the MODEM. (I've installed hundreds of them) Now, on the other hand, if you have a wireless ROUTER it will supply the username and password, which is something you put in when you set up your wireless network.
Regardless of the nitpicking technicalities, did any of the advice here help you JLZ?

I tried going to 192.168.1.1 on my parents computer but it just came up with the same "this page cannot be found" message so I tried it on my laptop. The one problem I have is that to click on the profile editor I need the username and password, I remember the password but I cant find the paper where I wrote down the username. Is there a way I could get it by calling verizon or am I screwed?

verizon allows for more than one machine
they do not attach to a mac address of any one nic
the modem will use 192.168.1.1. or 192.168.0.1 you may have to mess with last sets to find it
have fun asking for a tech you will be on the line for awhile
verizon has a messed up software app
your better off getting another cheap router and enter the verizon manually
or you can load the software on all the machines and have fun config there system<---this is probubly what you need do do
if you have account info and the pass hint(like where were you born)
they may reset pass and email to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back