Just upgraded to Win2K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just upgraded to Win 2K from my doggy version of ME. I have an HP Pavillion computer and do not have my recovery disks. How do I find out what kind of sound card I have so I can get the appropriate driver. I've already contact HP's site and they tell me to use my recovery Cd's. Does anyone have any answers?

In addition to what Storm suggested, you might try this. Go to Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager. Then scroll down till you see "sound, video and game controllers". Click on the plus sign to expand, and if you have an audio card, you will see something like, "Creative SB Audigy", I think it will be the second one down. Double click on that and you should see what kind of card you have, or at least some general info.

If you have onboard sound, then that might be a bit more of a problem.

if Nettie doesnt have the drivers for it, it probably wont be in the device manager. And, cause he has ME & the drivers arent in the cab files (assuming ME didnt detect it) then its ***probably*** an integrated one...knowing hp computers.
Nettie, you should be able to go to the link StormBringer posted and find out thru the HP website which sound card you have.

my gf has a pavillion computer and it has an ATI all in wonder thingy-ma-jig card- does the sound, video and has a remote on it. if youve installed 2000 and it cant recognise it then you can do two things really:

1. Look on the HP website, its pretty extensive with lots of information about every pavillion pc, it should say somewhere what card it is. if not, then have a look around the internet for an old review of it, and see what card they say is included.

2. open up your case and have a look to see if it is a card, or if it is onboard sound. if its onboard sound, then you can get the drivers of hp's site.

hope that helps a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back