Just when I thought things were getting better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaroddog

Well, I removed my video card and replaced it with another one I had as an extra. I thought this had solved my BSoD's, but I was wrong, they have started again. I was getting the 0x1000008e but now I'm getting the 0x10000050 and the 0x1000007f errors. I've ran memtest quite a few times for extended periods. What should I do. I guess I'll post my minidumps, but I doubt that will help. Any ideas?

4 of your minidumps crash at kmixer.sys. This is the Windows Kernel Mode Audio Mixer. Of the 4 minidumps 3 have a bugcheck of 7F, and one of 50.

0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause (many dozen KB articles exist for this error referencing specific hardware failures) and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

The other minidump crashes with memory corruption, and a bugcheck of 8E.

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

The chances are. You`ve either got a ram problem, or some other kind of hardware problem.

Some faulty ram can pass memtes86+.

Try running your system with just one stick of ram, also try using a different dimm slot.

Check your mobo for bulging, or leaking capacitors. See HERE for more info.

Disconnect anything not required to run your system.

Check that your psu is putting out enough power for your system.

Make sure nothing is overclocked, and check your temperatures.

Regards Howard :)

i just replaced my ram with a couple of sicks of 128 i had lying around, and so far my system has stabilized.

Thanks for your help. Now the question that's going through my mind right now is : "Is my memory defective or just not compatible with my mobo?" I've got mushkin ddr 400 in a chaintech 7njl6 mobo. The memory I'm using right now is pretty generic.

Either your mobo manual, or a visit to your mobo manufacturers website, should tell you what makes of ram are compatible with your mobo.

Incompatible ram can be a real nightmare. That`s not to say that your ram isn`t faulty though.

Regards Howard :)

Man, I should learn to never jump to conclusions. I just had a 0x1000007f error. I've now switched video cards, memory, harddrives. This leads me to believe it is either my motherboard or cpu, with my motherboard being my first guess. Any opionions on which is more likely?

If I were to guess, I`d say probably your mobo is faulty, but that`s only a guess.

I`m sorry to hear you`re still having problems. I thought we`d got it sorted.

Go HERE and look up the 7F bugcheck for further info.

Regards Howard :(

Thanks Howard. I'm going to switch out mobos pretty soon, and see if that's the problem. I would've tonight, but I wanted to slipstream SP2 onto my original windows xp pro (I did one manually and one with a cool streaming utility). I'm tired of getting 2 hours worth of downloads every time I reformat. I'm pretty sure I will have to reformat after switching mobos. So, again, thanks for the help and I'll let you know how it turns out.

I just got done switching drivers, so far my system is stable, but it usually is for the first few hours (it will probably crash at least once by tommorrow. Could this possibly be solved by new drivers? I downloaded new nForce drivers from nvidia.com for my motherboard. What do you think, judging from my errors, is it a possibility? Just wondering.

Just a thought - have you tried loading safe defaults in the BIOS?

Just to make sure the memory timings aren't too tight, or some setting is messing things up...

Some of the issues in the minidumps could be connected to bad drivers, but not all - though you should upgrade all drivers to the newest official ones, just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back