K8N-E Deluxe and SBLive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any K8N-E Deluxe users out there how has an SBLive installed in this mother board and has achieved sound and joystick control in DOS.

I understand that for this to work one must have something called NMI. Sent off a mail to ASUS tech support eons ago but no response from them.

Does the K8N-E Deluxe support NMI?

Thanks.

Key: [NMI=Non Maskable Interrupts]

The non-maskable interrupt (NMI) is used for serious conditions that demand the processor's immediate attention. The NMI cannot be ignored by the system unless it is shutoff specifically. Any other standard interrupt request can be ignored. When an NMI signal is received, the processor immediately drops whatever it was doing and attends to it. The NMI signal is normally used only for critical problem situations, such as serious hardware errors.

taken straight outta google definitions, btw

sound and joystick control are driver issues. NMIs are a basic system function that you need not and cannot mess with.

Yes.

But what I want to know is if the K8N-E Deluxe supports NMI (I understand not all mother boards do from searches in google) and If the SBLive + K8N-E Deluxe can be configured to play sound in Real MS-DOS.

all motherboards support NMIs, it is a function as important as the system bus.

as for the dos functionality, are you talking about running the actual 16-bit OS itself, or are you planning to run the game from a shell withing windows (not a true DOS system)?

What I have done so far is to boot directly from a Win98 boot disk to the DOS prompt. I think that would be DOS 7. But after I verifiy it can work I'll install DOS 6.22. So no not from a dosbox in windows.

Thanks.

dos on an a64? you'll have to manually configure himem.sys and that stuff, plus deal with drivers that probably aren't written for dos anyways.

before you go any firther, find out if your soundcard has dos drivers (check the asus website). i honestly doubt that any exist for said board. if you fins none don't bother wasting your time. plus there's the fact that MS DOS requires tricky memory extenders (it's 16 bit remember) and lots of other manual crap.

have you considered/tried using an emulator (can be run from within windows)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back