Kazaa Lite is no more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
The project, which had been set up to block spy and ad ware within the Kazaa Media Desktop Program has achieved notoriety within the P2P world through its simplistic approach and success in reverse engineering the Kazaa application.

However, the program infringed on the copyright of Sharman Networks, the company that now own and program the Kazaa Media Desktop application, after the purchase of the code and copyright in 2002. The FastTrack (Kazaa) network is financed through advertising systems, which Kazaa Lite K++ does not include, and so was seen as a threat by the owners.

Read more: Nvmax (spotted at Neowin).

Tis a pitty that was a brillent program. Fair well Kazza lite. Anyone know other good programs/methods to achieve the same goal as kazza lite?

AHHAHAAHAHAH AHHAHAH AHAHHA AHAHAH AHAHAH !!!!!!

I feel just like Davros when he found out that his new generation of Daleks had been destroyed.

How am I going to conquer the universe now?

Oh, wait, what am I saying? Download Bittorrent here.

What I was just thinking was that, if it was as easy to reverse engineer as that, what's to stop someone else getting the source code and "taking on the mantle" underground?

And what is more important - the existing version will surely be good to go for some time to come! It will still be compatible with the Kazaa network.

Even if the "official" web server and other channel's won't allow a download, surely some IRC server somewhere will?

It will be harder to get hold of, but I am sure that a hacked version of Kazaa will be around in some form for a while.

Anyway, you all need to be using bittorrents as well.

Thats a shame.. not gonna check right now [too lazy :p] but i do hope it still works on the kazaa p2p network ;)

well here's where you end up:

bit torrent - for movies and games, programs.
winmx - for mp3's
emule - for general use, programs.
dc++ - games, movies, music, programs.

I believe the program still works (who knows until when) but development has been stopped and official download links are no longer there.

I never really liked Kazaalite anyway, I have always found more reliable means of getting what I want or need.
People have been sharing files since before the word "Internet" was ever uttered, there are far more efficient means of doing so, and most of them do not include annoying ads. There is FTP, IRC, and many other methods.

I have personally found the p2p apps like kazaa to be a bit cold, you don't really know if you even downloaded the right file till you get it. With other methods, you can actually know what you are getting, and have confinence that you didn't just waste a ton of bandwidth on a bogus file.

I haven't been able to use it recently, but I bet it's because of my ISP not Kazaa.

I suppose I could just (sigh) install KMD then run AdAware.

I'm gonna miss it. You really know KMD has ads when it is like 8MB and Kazaa Lite is like 2 or 3MB.

Will there still be K++ extensions or was that only for K-Lite?

KMD won't run once the Adware has been removed & yes the K++ extensions ( & the extra tools such as AVI Preview ) are only for KLite.

hello

sorry but kazaa sucks! i can not find anything that i want... direct connect is the way to go! we do not need anything else.

bye

I'll admit that there are a number of useful ways to get the stuff you want - Kazaa is just one part of a toolkit you should have. But loosing Kazaa Lite is still bad.

Kazaa Lite is the best. period...

Kazaa may suck to some, but when it came to picking kazaa, or kazaa lite, kazaa lite won hands down, with no spyware or adware, very convenient and efficient download options and features to help deflect those RIAA pests, among many mnay other useful features that Kazaa Lite invented for Kazaa and it's network. Kazaa Lite will live on. Its too good of a program to just stop developing.

Kazaa was goin downhill anyway. it had become nearly unusable due to the corrupted mp3s that would result everytime i tried to download. BT is good for albums and other types of media, but for the occaisonal single i relied on kazaa. i'm sure something will pop up for the mainstream masses shortly. also, how easy would it be for a few developers to continue to work on it and release it via underground channels annoymously? what could Sherman do if it was done that way.

What we really need its a unified, grand network for sharing and searching for bittorrents. Using open source software such as apache (so that you have a running bittorrent catalogue server on your machine as well).

What would be ideal would be if it was a plug in for a web browser so that you could just type the name of the file, etc into a kind of toolbar which would then display the search results in a web page by utilising some sort of asp or php - I know there are web pages that do this already, but I am talking about a peer to peer web server (like an apache hack) that runs on your own machine and therefore isn't some web server with links that can be shut down.

You then simply click on links which automatically download the bittorent file to your temp directory and begin the download.

OK, maybe I am stoned at the moment and not making much sense, but you get what I mean.

I really don't think that would be appropriate at all, that is the same reaon there hasn't been a KaZaa tweak guide after all.;)

The best way to learn is to frequent certain IRC channels, get to know the people there & once they know you well enough, they could take a little time to explain to you how it works.

Well I liked Kazaa Lite. It has certainly IMO been best for music downloads ... it was friendly enough to use, and tho I dont know a huge amount about Bittorrent, it doesnt seem to have the vast collection of ancient trax I want to look for. I DO know the answer is for me to get a life, but *sigh* I shall miss Kazaa Lite. Big time.:(

What do you mean K-Lite is no more? Do you mean production has stoped or do you mean that you can't connect or that anyone can reverse K-Lite to track you down?

I can still connect and download fine (just checked).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back