Kde3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

Nice article here:

KDE 3.0 Review: Bumpy Install, Smooth Run
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/4138/1/

If any of you Linux freshers can get this to work by manually installing with the rather skimpy instructions, though, I will recommend you for some kind of award.

What's different in KDE 3??
A pile of bug fixes.
A collection of improvements in the arts package for those who like to use various sound applications.
Full set of SSL certificate tools.
Better CUPS integration in the KDE print tool.
Does not move your cursor focus to a new window as it opens.
Any number of tiny performance tweaks to the operation of keyboard, mouse, desktop, and windows.
XML plugin for Kate, a text editor for programmer.
Additional functionality for Konqueror, including controlling how much to show animated GIFs and whether or not to allow JavaScript pop-up windows.
Much additional functionality to Konsole, the KDE command line terminal window, including the ability to monitor for new activity, or no activity.
Font installation assistant.
A huge collection of new features for Kmail including distribution lists, aliases, and SMTP over SSL.
Much, much more.

kde3img2.png

KDE3 did not make it into Mandrake 8.2 final release but it will make it into the new version of Redhat, version 7.3.

I have had a small look, and the above screenshot does not do it justice. Its far slicker than KDE 2.2 and runs a lot better and faster (suitably new machine provided....)

Thank you for that screenshot, took only 90 seconds to download.. No mercy for bandwidth impaired :darth:
So 3.0 is finished, not beta anymore? Interesting..

Wonderful... Thanks for the heads up. It's been a while since I've had any news update on KDE :) Didn't know KDE3 has been released sooo soon :D

Geez.. That "shutdown" button looks a lot like that in WinXP...

I have it running on RedHat 7.2. I installed the .rpms manually. I was able to install it fairly easily by installing the prerequistite rpms followed by rpm -Uvh kde*.rpm. I might have had to add --nodeps in there. It took me an hour or two to get all of the rpm dependencies right....they left a few out! It runs good but it's definitely no desktop replacement for Windows. Although I really like the built-in tea timer! lol You can find it under "Toys" in the KDE menu.

How's the speed in KDE3 compared to that in KDE2.2? I read a few months ago that they're trying to tweak the way shared libraries are loaded or something similar. Have they implemented it in KDE3?

I was not a big KDE user before 3.0. Gnome was my desktop of choice; however, I may be a convert to KDE now. Since I didn't use KDE 2.2 much I can't compare it to KDE 3.0. KDE 3.0 does seem faster. I'm running it fine on a PII 400Mhz system w/386MB RAM. It's always a little sluggish no matter what I'm running. Note: There is an "eye candy" setting when you first start KDE. I set this just above 50% by two tick marks. When I loaded the images below in Gimp it took 5-6 seconds for both Ximian Gnome and KDE 3.0. There was no apparent different is performance between the two.

It took me all of about five minutes to update KDE (once I downloaded all the rpms) in RH7.2 ... not the nightmare I was expecting from the news I read :)

I must admit I like the new KDE ... not noticing a huge speed improvement, but still, its got more eye candy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back