Keeping your mouse clean

Status
Not open for further replies.

boeingfixer

Here is a good article I found on cleaning your mouse. Yes I know we all clean our mouse on a regular basis, but you may be interested.

Cleaning your mouse

Written By: sandv!per
Date Posted: March 25, 2002

It amazes me how many people don't clean their mouse. I constantly get calls here in our office about mice not being responsive, or odd clicking sounds whenever they move the mouse. When asked if they've cleaned the mouse, I'm usually met with blank stares, or silence if on the phone.

Full article at Viper Lair

Not a bad little piece of info...it you still own a "ball" mouse. I would have to say that most people are using optical mouse's nowadays. I know I am..

Originally posted by svtcobra
Not a bad little piece of info...it you still own a "ball" mouse. I would have to say that most people are using optical mouse's nowadays. I know I am..

You know SVT, I would like to agree with you but most people I know still have the ball, I just switched last week to the optical. I got the MS one and right now I have mixed feelings about it. I may get use to it but I really like my ball logitech. Anyway, thanks for the response !!

Originally posted by boeingfixer

You know STV, I would like to agree with you but most people I know still have the ball, I just switched last week to the optical. I got the MS one and right now I have mixed feelings about it. I may get use to it but I really like my ball logitech. Anyway, thanks for the response !!

Give it some time...You will learn to love having no ball. :D

btw, which MS one did you get? I have the Intellimouse Optical USB and it is awesome. I love the buttons on the side for going forward and backward on the web.

I myself only own Optical mouses... The ball is just too old...
I have a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 and a microsoft Intellimouse optical.

The only problem i have with these mouses are the little feet. They just ware themselves out too darn quickly.

(the light is good when you can't find anything on your desk at 3:00am when no lights are turned on.)

SVT, I just bought the MS Intellimouse 3.0 USB, with all the buttons. I changed my side buttons to double click and copy, the fwd and back drove me nuts. I am trying to ween myself from the trusty logitech I have had for 3 years or so......

Haven't found the feet to wear out on my Intellimouse Optical USB mouse or my Logitech Optical Cordless mousman. They do seem to be using the same materials that were used to produce the rollers inside old ball mice for the feet as they seem to get covered in the same dirt that the rollers used to ;)

The transition to optical is a little weird at first, mainly due to the weight of the mouse giving it a different feel (lighter weight), although my cordless mouses batteries give it a better weight. The momentum loss with going from ball to optical can also feel strange for a while but once you are used to it its much nicer to use, I feel that I get more precision with my optical mice.

Well I have been using my new MS Intellimouse optical for about 2 weeks now and I do thoroughly enjoy it. I still have my Logitech but am growing fonder of the MS now.

I have a logitech iFeel, with the Ifeel turned off (it was onsale for lessthan the Logitech optical the day I went to the store, to replace the optical I passed on to my dad) didn't find the iFeel all that useful most of the time, but I do like the extra weight it adds.

What are the distinct advantages of an optical mouse? I am perfectly fine with my ball mouse. And I don't see the need to go out and spend 40-80 dollars on a new optical mouse.

Originally posted by poertner_1274
What are the distinct advantages of an optical mouse? I am perfectly fine with my ball mouse. And I don't see the need to go out and spend 40-80 dollars on a new optical mouse.

More precise and never have to clean it. But another upside is this. I have a Logitech PS/2 mouse, then I bought the MS one, the MS one is USB-PS/2, so I just hooked it up to USB so I can see which one I like, well now that I have both hooked up, I can play games with my kids and we both have a mouse. Its real fun that way !!

Originally posted by poertner_1274
What are the distinct advantages of an optical mouse? I am perfectly fine with my ball mouse. And I don't see the need to go out and spend 40-80 dollars on a new optical mouse. [/QUOTYou can get name brand optical mice for less than 20 dollars... And online expect to find them as low as 15 dollars U.S

Optical mouse's are much more smoother and easier to maintain. Plus they light up on the bottom...cool..

I love my Ifeel (Ifeel turned off - same reason as above - cheaper than normal when I bought it). Wouldn't go back ever to a ball mouse.

Just curious but has anyone gotten IFeel to work in XP. Mine hasn't worked since I upgraded, but I have installed the latest drivers but not tried IFeel since. Do the newest drivers allow for IFeel to be used??? I find this little feature to be quite nifty and would like it back if at all possible. Thanks for any help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back