Keyboard and mouse security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnym

Anybody any ideas or have anything that you use to prevent keyboards and mice being stolen? I found a website were you bought a clip thing but this had to be added onto a cable which we dont already have.

cheers people

And I Went To A Community College.....!

My goodness, what kind of neighborhood are you computing in? Even in a big city college the mouse & keyboards never got stolen! (although everything else was). Can you keep buying cheaper versions until they're not worth stealing? Can you purchase wireless desktops and check them in and out? I suppose ( although it would be clumsy in a big way), you could cable them to something. Although in this case the thief/thieves would likely consider this a challenge and bring bolt cutters.

Yeah.. Unless you use some really thick chain/cable, one of your.. resourceful clients will cut it.

Maybe put the PC in some enclosure with very small holes for kb and mouse? This way they would have to cut the kb/mouse cable, rendering the device uselss. This would also make sure the machine itself isn't stolen/vandalised.

Of course, mice and keyboards are so cheap that any useful solution would probably cost you more..

This one might be better placed in the 'jokes' thread.

Thank you captaincranky and Nodsu, for a hearty laugh.

i just thort id ask i work in a school by the way so itd have to be done to like over 200 computers lol

i was just thinkin batter the kids untill you get them back but that could involve me loosing my job haha

ahh well weel just have to carry on replacing them i spose

Well Then.....

I suppose me idea of checking them out to the students, and then checking them back in wasn't such a non-idea after all. Issue the little #%^*s ID cards. And you're right, battering them would relieve bunches of stress, save for the fact that this is 2007 and they'd likely come back and shoot you.

Another idea. Cement is cheap. Cast a 20-pound lump around the keyboard and mouse cables. Those brats will think twice about taking any of these :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back