keyboard works in BIOS, etc. but not in Win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.
it all happened when:
intellimouse setup automatically detects previous mouse software and when it tries to uninstall it, the comp reboots before it finishes uninstalling. so i manually selected the "win2k *.inf file" (on the intellimouse drivers CD) under device manager for my mouse. now everything's screwd up :unch:

all buttons work fine (caps/num/scroll lights switch on/off normally) untill the "starting up windows" screen appears. Now I cant log-in in windows safe-mode since I can't type in my password.

the Keyboard doesnt work in either PS/2 or USB(using a ps2 to usb converter). however the mouse works fine when connected to USB, but not in PS/2 (the pointer just disappeares when i reconnect it to PS/2).

(*note*: the KB lights turn on for a second anytime i reconnect it.)

the "How to: Repair Windows XP/2000 if you are unable to boot into Windows." post doesnt help me since i dont have the win2k CD.recovery console also requires the cd. if its the only way then i guess i have no choice but to buy a new win2k cd(?).

note: comp isnt connected to a network.

summary:
Keyboard works fine untill the "starting up windows" screen shows up.
keyboard doesnt work connected to USB or PS/2
mouse works using USB, but not PS/2

Try to go into your BIOS. Press the DEL-key upon startup, see if it says: Stop on ANY errors. This should be: Stop on every error EXCEPT keyboard, or something like that.
Try someone elses normal (not a USB-type) keyboard.
Try and use other USB ports if available.
Tell your PC, it will get it's first flying lesson (out of the window) if it does not behave better, maybe you impress it!

thanks for the reply realblackstuff :grinthumb

"Try to go into your BIOS. Press the DEL-key upon startup, see if it says: Stop on ANY errors. This should be: Stop on every error EXCEPT keyboard, or something like that."

-Unfortunately , I already have tried everything in my bios menu but to no avail

"Try someone elses normal (not a USB-type) keyboard.
Try and use other USB ports if available."

-did that also, same thing happens. both ps/2 and usb ports work fine "outside" of windows.

as for the last one...all i can say is ROFLMAO!!! :haha:

hello again realblackstuff :)
unfortunatley as i have mentioned before..i don't currently have the windows2k CD..which is required to do the "in place repair of windows"..
so i guess this leaves me with no other choice but to buy a new win2k cd..ill keep you updated.

How is your HD formatted, in FAT32 or NTFS?
If FAT32, go get a bootdisk-maker file for W98SE from www.bootdisk.com
If NTFS you will need to make a DOS-NTFS floppy. Get it here,
http://www.datapol.de/dpd/freeware/ and look for the SETUP symbol, bottom right.

What are your OS and keyboard language settings, US or any other?
Have you tried booting in Safe Mode (press F8 a few times at bootup)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back