Keys stick on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a Compaq Presario R3000Z notebook. When I'm playing a game, the keys have a tendancy to stick. The physical keys on the keyboard do not stick down, but if I'm strafing in the game, I will continue to do so even though I am not pressing any keys.

On a side note, I bought a ps/2 to USB adaptor, and plugged my PS/2 keyboard into the notebook and the same thing happened. The same keyboard works perfect when plugged into the PS/2 port on my other desktop computer.

I did a search on the internet and only found one person with the same problem, but there was no help offered.

Does anyone else have this problem with the keys sticking? Is there a cause other than dirt/dust?

Thanks,
Totoro

Have you taken a look in the BIOS of the notebook?

There could be a setting which allows you to set how fast the key will repeat when pressed, and for how long a key will be registered as "pressed". If you have the latter setting, try reducing it to see if that solves the problem... (And check to see if there are any similar settings which might help)

in the keyboard settings in Control Panel, there is a setting for repeating as Mr G mentioned, try setting that lower.

Yeah I called HP and they sent me to their driver & updates page. I reflashed the BIOS with a little program they had me download. The problem persists, though.

I'll try the control panel thing.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a feeling it's probably the quality of the Compaq keyboard that is the issue.

I don't think it is the keyboard if it also does it with an external, it might be the mobo though, especially if you've flashed the BIOS and updated drivers, applied any patches suggested etc...

changing the key repeate rate

hey I was having the same problem w/ a hp pavilion laptop. I turned down my key repeat rate and turned up the length of time it takes before it starts to repeat. I had been having trouble w/ movement keys sticking in World of Warcraft as well as shift and alt keys I have not had any trouble sense I made this alteration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back