Kinect 2.0 hits Windows on July 15th

Scorpus

Staff member

The second version of Microsoft's Kinect sensor, which was originally bundled with the Xbox One when the console launched late last year, is coming to Windows on July 15th.

Unlike the original version of the Kinect, used with the Xbox 360, Kinect 2.0 for the Xbox One doesn't use a standard USB port for transmitting data, meaning it has been incompatible with PCs since its launch. This new Kinect for Windows package gives the peripheral a standard connector while also ensuring full compatibility with the Kinect for Windows SDK.

Compared to the first-generation motion-sensing peripheral, Kinect 2.0 includes a newer 1080p main camera with a wider-angle lens, plus better depth-sensing capabilities and the ability to track more bodies in the one frame. Kinect developers will have easy access to publishing apps in the Windows Store, which should make it easy to find cool creations for the camera.

When Kinect 2.0 for Windows goes on sale on July 15th, it'll be available for $199. If you want to get it as soon as possible, pre-orders are still open through the Microsoft Store in 23 territories.

Permalink to story.

Like a cyclone, I bet! :)

Seriously, how many people really buy it for use under Windows? My impression is that it is a very-very tiny market, and with the coming of VR not likely to grow.

Seriously, how many people really buy it for use under Windows? My impression is that it is a very-very tiny market, and with the coming of VR not likely to grow.

True that. I'm not sure if I will buy it. I do want to start toying around with creating a room that can capture human motions but I would most likely use the old kinect since its good enough for a hobby. Once you get more serious you might even skip kinect for motion sensing and use different suppliers or techniques.

My shop works with CNC woodcarving machines. We have been waiting for this. Our software supplier hacked an original Kinect unit and showed how it could be used to capture a 3D likeness of someone. They took this capture and made a cut file with their software. The result showed promise, but it needed a bit more detail and Windows computer connectivity. It seems that this new Kinect unit will solve both problems. This is something we can really use.

Not likely to grow? I assume you're talking about the Oculus Rift, when you say VR. The Oculus is great, but pairing it with the Kinect will bring VR to a whole new level. I see the Kinect having a very bright future.

Try again. The first Kinect was one of the most popular sensors for the body in VR applications, and with the drastically improved tech in version 2, the upgrade will be a easy choice for many. However, we've yet to see VR hit the mainstream, clearly, so whether Kinect 2.0 will become the sensor of choice is a bit up in the air.

Try again. The first Kinect was one of the most popular sensors for the body in VR applications, and with the drastically improved tech in version 2, the upgrade will be a easy choice for many. However, we've yet to see VR hit the mainstream, clearly, so whether Kinect 2.0 will become the sensor of choice is a bit up in the air.

If Kinect is such a big whoopie-do why did Microsoft remove it from the XBox 180 bundle? Must be one of those things like a fine wine where stupid people just don't realize what they are missing I am guessing.... :) Just like Windows 8 too.

BigFatClown, you're perhaps right about unbundling it from the XBone, but I've certainly seen a load of novel and creative uses for the first gen Kinect and I'm sure this one will at least match that for adaptability.

Hey Microsoft, how about a wireless kinetic for starters? This is the only thing keeping me from buying an XBOX as all my A/V equipment is neatly tucked away inside an electronics closet 30ft away from the TV.

Back