KR7a advice ; )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I'm new to this forum, and am after some advice re an abit KR7a 133 Raid. I bought it brand new a year ago, I bought some brand new (at the time) PC2700 DDR to go with it, a Lian-Li case, Enermax PSU and some fast drives.
I then ran out of money and had to put up with a 1000Mhz Duron, and a Rage 128 Pro :(
Now I'm in a position to update it, I'm not about to junk the mobo yet, but this will be it's last upgrade, which I'm hoping will last me a while.
Now as this mobo's been out for a year, I thought it would be a known quality, I thought I wouldn't have to update by trial and error.
I bought the mobo for it OC capabilities, and would like to finally put them to good use, I am not after breaking any records, I'm prolly gonna air cool - although having been a aircon/refrigeration engineer for the last 12 years, know a lil' bit about cooling :cool: but quite simply haven't got the time to delve into this for my putta.
I'm just hoping for recomendations for a good cpu for this board,
if a 2400+ or 2600+ is gonna be held back by this board then I'll save my money and get a 2100+ - I was just hoping to get some other users veiws to help me decide,
so maybe I should be asking - What size CPU would be considered a good final choice for this board, to take advantage of it's OC capabilities and not be held back by the board itself

p.s. I'm also looking for recommendations for a new Video card that will also match these specs - ie more interested in getting good performance per pound spent rather than out and out power/speed

many thanks

spotta

specs of 'Jim'

Lian-Li PC-60
Abit KR7a Raid 133
1000Mhz Duron
256 PC2700 DDR
80gig Maxtor
60gig IMB GXP
20gig Maxtor
8gig Maxtor
used solely for recording live audio,
2.8gig Digital SCSI
3.6gig Digital SCSI
Rage 128 Pro
Event Layla 24bit 10 out/10 in audio
Hitachi DVD
LG CDR
Enermax EG365P-VE 350w
Dual boot Win2k Advanced Server / XP Pro

the 2100 or 2200 and another stick of 256mb PC2700 would probably be your best bet. as far as graphics cards I would recommend taking a look at the soon to be released Radeon 9600 pro. it is going to retail at 199.00 and should be an excellent performer with a 400 mhz core.

Definitely go with another stick of ram. However with ram prices dropping so sharply within the past few weeks, i think it would probably be in your budget to get a 512 stick, you can probably pick up on for 60-70 US dollars

Thanks for the replies guys,

512 mb of memory is already on it's way to me, I've managed to get the same PC2700 DDR as before (Samsung)

Am I right in thinking that a 2100 "B" Tbred is the one to go for, I have been told this even though officially abit only support the thoroughbreds upto 2000 on this mobo.

many thanks

chris

you might want to call abit and ask them about using a 2100 t bred with your board. a freind of mine has two older K7 raid abit boards and they dont support t breds at all acording to abit.

Originally posted by Spotta
Is this sort of speed usual for an overclocked 1700+
seems like a bargin for £44 ;)

Not at all, providing it is the Thoroughbred - B Revision 1700+.

A quick visit to overclockers.com's CPU database http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/ reveals

T-Bred 1700 Results....

Total Entries in Database for T-Bred 1700 - 291
Average overclocked speed - 2003 Mhz

with the top overclock being 2710Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back