KVM switch work with laptops????

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00b

Ok i haven't bought a KVM switch looking into one though becuz i have a Dell 9100 laptop 3.2P4 1gb ram and i also have a Falken external DVD burner that will not work on my latop for some stupid reason i called dell and falken and got told by both that pretty much Dell has some stupid block on there usb ports that doesn't except to many outside periphrials well regardless of that what i plan to do is hook up another old computer i have laying around kinda a clunker Amd 1.5ghz wit about 256ram but i have no more monitors cuz i broke'em all lol. Well my question is that If i buy this KVm switch will i be able to run my latop as the central monitor and still see the other PC becuz from what i've been readin it looks to me like i need a PC monitor and my latop won't work so any help here would be good and any links to KVM switches that will work this way plz link'em.

Cannot really understand what you want to do. Try saying it in five simple sentences.

Do you want to display the image from another PC on your laptop screen? That will not work with a normal KVM switch.

Yes

I want to display the screen from my old PC onto my laptop screen so i can burn DVD's with the external burner i have becuz it won't work on my laptop. Also what KVM switch will i hafta buy to get this to work i heard something about USB port ones may work? but who knows just something i read somewhere. :bounce:

If you can borrow a monitor from somewhere set up your other machine so you can remote desktop to it from the laptop. That way you can control your desktop machine just as if you were using it directly.

I am not sure about KVM switches that allow you to connect via USB but there are KVM switches that work over ethernet and allow you to control remote PCs over IP protocol.
They are enterprise products and cost a lot, but if you are inclined to get one then this is a nice example: http://www.ami.com/k1/

For only one machine you are way better off doing as SNGX said and setting up VNC or Remote Desktop.

ok

Ok so i can prolly get another monitor somewhere as for setting up the remote link how do i go about doing that i already have a new router for my g/f laptop so i got a couple ports open but if you could lemme know what i have do to set it up remotely that'd be awesome. I do have a bit of network knowledge to certain degree and i have most of the equip. including cable, crimpers, Rj45 connectors testers and all that jazz.

Thanks a ton for your guys help i hate to waste this burner as i can't return it cuz the company my g/f bought it from online wont let us return it after 30 days and she bought it in Nov. 04 for my Xmas present and it went past and now its been a $190 paperweight.

Reg. KVM

KVMs are only a control between two computers you do need the monitor, mouse and keyboard to use a KVM. and as for remote use of a computer you will need a monitor if using windows as you will need to see from that system each time it is rebooted.

I would go get a new monitor and be alot more careful with it as they are not intended to be used as footballs. There ways to get windows to boot and login via remote but the setup of this would depend on you O/S, NIC, Router and even the tower as some tear one companies eg DELL, HP, Aser, Toshiba and so-on will block some functions of remote use on some of their systems I have seen where HP has blocked remote use on some of their "Topend" work stations making I.T. Techs mad as hornets and having to buy additional software that works on a diffrent proto all-together meaning hours of waisted time and money. Dell is alittle better for this as they build more for the "Need now networkers" work remotly from home and new to the PC world market.

I would would say getting Samsung SyncMaster 17" CRT (as they are harty monitors that work well and will refresh up to 100 Mhz a second) in you prefered colour and a KVM switch with a "on box" control as the keyboard control KVMs are cheaper, they are harder to use at first and often anger new computer users; the monitor will very where you live as some states and provinces in Canada and the U.S. have "hiden taxs" on them the KVM should be around $95.00 - $130.00 U.S. but if you want to try a keyboard control KVM Linksys makes a "easy to use" one for about $50.00 U.S. the only problem with it is getting you switch comand timings down and you use the left shift and the right shift keys to toggel into scan mode and the spasbar to stop on the system you want... Once you get your timings down on that switch it is a very good KVM for the price. I have the Linksys 2-Port KVM Switch that is a keyboard control on my two main computers and home. For shomeone like me that plays drums and alot of other things it works real good and I got switching down in less then a day.

As far as the Laptop being used as a monitor unless you have a second video in port that some Dells do have it would not be easy to do, you can look for a USB monitor in cable but I would have to say that would cost a fair size greenback same with using a USB external GPU device as they start at about $270.00 U.S. and you could all-most get the KVM and monitor for that.

There also maybe a way to use your tower as a slave to your Laptop via a USB network cable but I am not aware of the way that would be done off-hand as I don't use USB networking that maybe the cheapest way to look into first, but if Dell has limitem the use of your USB ports that may not be feasable either. Call Dell about that one ask for a ranking tech and the first level only work with a database and would not know that off hand without going through their info bank most often missing the info all together or ton looking in the right section.

Good luck.

How about sharing dvd?

Well the thread seems already quiet old but I came here now via google and that's what probably a lot of users do...

External dvd still are over 100$ - that would have been the easiest solution.

Stating Winsows XP or 2000 on the second computer, it will be very easy to share the dvd via networking. Just switch on the pc and dont logon. that is possible without KVM. Well :evil: and then just switch it off if youre done.

:confused: What I really dont know: Is it really possible to write the dvd then?

They have two types of KVMs on the market - I know - I just bought one. They have one for USB control and also the classic PS2 connectors. I had two computers, one with USB for a mouse and the other with PS2. I had to use a USB to PS2 adaptor before plugging the one mouse into the KVM port.

I got my little 2 port KVM for around $30

I would...

I would hit the Dell with an MBFH and use the AMD box... :unch: Dell wont even give you the option of having AMD it realy does not matter if i use AMD or not they don't give me the option and locking things out so i have to buy their stuff is mean. ontop of the if you ever sell a Dell you have to (MUST) call them and tell them you sold the system, and who you sold it to. If you don't you could be sued when the person brakes the system and calls dell to get new parts and the names of owners don't match and Dell reports it as stolen, as they do in some parts of the world, in other parts of the world they just say; "Well thank you, for buying a Dell door-stop, have a nice day".

I used to sware by Dell laptops for my customers and then the problems started and now I will tell you HP-Compaq Aser and Toshibia are the ones I normaly reconmend and if the person wants something that will be hard to steal the I will reffer them to Panasonic, Sony and the odd IBM, but I don't like IBM for high-end laptops and the Panasonic's Toughbook line has better toys and about the same cost as an IBM.

Some Dells will not allow you to use USB KVM switches and USB network cables, as I just found out the otherday.

Hey i just build a cpu tower and i have no monitor i was wondering if i can use my laptop monitor, my laptop is a sony vaio pcg-k33 can somebody got any ideas on how to connect the two computers to my laptop monitor. Can i use a Kmv switch

Thanks

...??? I thought... I could of....???

I thought and could have swore I said that a you can't use a laptop screen for a tower at some-point on this topic did I not or am I thinking of a diffrent forum all together? The only way it could be done is if the Laptop has a video in port and if you have one you should know you have one. Because with that kind of laptop you know what you are buying as they would not be cheap, that and it would say "video in" right on the port labblel or have a cammera and an errow pointin away from it.

Beside even if you had video in the res would be poor compaired to VGA SVGA or any of them you can think of.

I would go get a mid range CRT as they are harder to brake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back