lag during games - please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

korrupt

Hey guys,

One of the people I play soldier of fortune 2 with is experiencing lag, he's posted on another forum, but just thought I'd check here... The following are extracts from this forum post:

Guys hello how it everyone going,

Cool forum - learning lots here guys good work.

i have been doing some reading on this but i cant seem to hit it on the head.

Question - When i play sof2 with say 18 people on a server say sydney i get a ping of about 50(approx). When i try and shoot someone they are infront of me(as im shooting) next thing they have moved(lag)without me seeing them move. (they are there then not there)
Geeez hope that makes sence lol

Here are some of my specs
- Adsl2
- NB5Plus4 router
- 9700 ati graphics card

Now we have local networked sof2 with no lag at all. So i dont think its my pc in power.

I read Shoo post on Rate/Snaps/Fps he stated that we should use netgraph 1 to monitor connection speeds etc etc. How do i get this to work, what do i have to do?

My router i have port fowarded 2100 for sof2 -

Any other ideads on what i may be able to do would be great guys

Thanks

I can answer all of those lol... We've been talking about it for a while, and I've tried to help him to no avail.

Snaps: 20
Rate: 15000
fps: I believe last time I asked he was getting 90fps or there abouts 90% of the time, but never dropped below 70
Adsl: Adsl2
Speed: 24000/10000
Max fps: 125

Current speed i done at 2am @ ozspeedtest
kbps: 1424.52
KB/s: 178.07
Mbps: 1.42

And to A-Mak my router (netcomm NB5Plus4) is not usb and not plugged into my pc . My router is located into the center of my house with cat5 cable running to everyroom of my house via data points. Now the length of the cable im playing on(from router to pc) is about 5 metres thats the closest point.

Other troubleshooting done:
unplugged all phones
ping router (no loss of packets)
new cat5 cables
other computer
fresh install

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

korrupt

Uhm, I don't think it cn be a firewall - the problems only occur when there is a large amount of "Actvitity" happening (ie: 5 people shooting in close range) - at that stage the frames per second drop so I'm assuming that causes the lag.

Calling now to check if ISP prioritise traffic.

Any more ideas (thanks)?

Regards,

Korrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back