LAN Cardbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ididmyc600

As part of my job i use an old Gateway Solo 2000 laptop, just recently I broke the dongle for a 3Com etherlink card.

Not to fussed I went on Ebay and saw a card that had a built in thing called an Xjack socket heres a link to the item.

So I paid for it and it was delivered, thing is I cant get it to work...I see after a bit of googling that this is for a Cardbus Slot, and I take it I dont have one on the Solo 2000 I have.

According to Device Manager the PCMCIA socket is a "Cirrus Logic PCIC compatible PCI to PCMCIA Bridge, whatever that means...

The card works fine in my Dell Latitude ...

I do have 2 PCMCIA slots and find it odd that if there is a difference between one and the other that the card should fit quite well in the slot in the laptop..

So is there a difference between a cardbus card and the 3com card that I used previously...

I would like to get it working if I can as its a bit neater using the new card then to have a dongle hanging out the side...

Oh and for those that want to know (there's always one) the gateway is the only machine i have found that i can use in this part of my job...

Regards

Cardbus cards are keyed to prevent them from being plugged into a 16-bit PCMCIA slot.

Boot a CD Linux like Knoppix and see if that recognises your adapter and whether it works.

Hi Nodsu

I know the card works ok, like I said if I plug it into the PCMCIA slot on my Dell Latitude it shows up fine and installs ok under XP, the device manager for XP shows my PCMCIA slots as a Texas Instruments 1420 cardbus controller.

This card isnt keyed in anyway and is identical to another 3Com card that works fine in the gateway laptop, thats why Im puzzled as to why it wont get detected in the Gateway.

It's listed as WIndows 98 and 98se compatible but even with the drivers installed the card wont work, the laptop simply doesnt see the card, in fact I borrowed a collegues gateway in the belief that the PCMCIA slots were faulty but the same happens in an identical laptop.

Im really puzzled, its a good card from all accounts and I really would like to get it going.

DO you think that to use a CD like Knoppix would prove it to be some kind of fault within windows, its a clean install ( thats one of the first things I did) I dont have a clue about Linux.?

It would prove:
A - that your slot works with the card (or not)
B - that the issue is with Windows (or not)

Im going for the slot not working with the card (although other cards work)

Its not windows, I thought that and changed the OS from 98 to 98SE, no change.

Regards

PS anyone need a network card that I cant get to work ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back