LAN "Little or No Connectivity"

Status
Not open for further replies.

josbd

I have a friend who is trying to connect a pc and a laptop via cable modem and a switch. Both are on XP.

After some hassle, he rang NTL (cable company) and finally managed to get the PC online, after they released and renewed the IP.

All is well with the pc, but now the laptop is showing "Little or no connectivity". I suggested he try to repair the LAN connection, but it simply comes back with the same message.

I suggested he try cmd ip release and renew, but nothing seems to work.

All the cables are new and work, the switch works fine.

Does anyone have any "*****'s guide" type suggestion for the pair of us *****s please?

We would both be very grateful!

Cheers!

I should state that the laptop has been online there recently, and I had it running off my LAN here too.

Try a static address and see if that works. Also see if you can ping the 127.0.0.1 address and check if the stack works.

i've been getting the same problem before. the reason for this is i think the two computers are using the same ip adress. if you have a router, you can easily set the laptop to use a different ip. i use dynamic not sure if static is any good.

If they had the same ip address then it would show an error in XP stating that same address is used by another computer on the network. If he used a static on the laptop that is in the same network that is different than the other computer, he mght be able to see if the problem exist elsewhere.

well, i cancelled this option that distributed different ip addresses to all computers on the network(therefore only one ip address was used) and i got the same message....unless i'm mistaken?

If you are talking about the setting in the router I know what you mean now.

If this is the case he should be able to connect the labtop only and it should hand out the one ip to the laptop. Then connect the computer to the switch and the computer would not recieve a ip. Correct?

ok chaps, not sure what you mean, so in language an ***** could understand please!

I guess if all else fails, and since tis only a connection for two pcs...... I could always tell him to install Net BEUI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back