LAN Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, havin problems setting up a LAN game of Commans & Conquer Red Alert 2, wondering if anyone can please help me figure stuff out. I dont know ALOT about computers but i can follow directions haha, so if anyone would be kind enough to help id appreciate it.

I Have 2 Deskyop PC's Runing Windows XP Pro. They Are Connected With A D-Link Di-524 Wirless Router. My 1st PC Is Connected With A LAN Cable To The Router And The 2nd Is Connected Wirelessly. Where im at right now is i can access the network area of the game but i dont see the other computer in the "lobby". I read up on it abit and i installed IPX/SPX on both computers, and made sure file sharing was enabled aswell as it had had been reccomended. I Also Exited my firewalls on both computers just to be sure that wasnt the problem, yet it still wont work. Any Ideas?

Oh why did you install Netware Client (IPX/SPX) on your system.
I would only use Microsft Network Client only. So remove or uninstall the Netware client.

It's fairy simple setup you have there...
I first then is create a name for your network:

workgroup name for each pc: NotMatt
Create SSID: NotMatt for wireless

The router should assign:

IP
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway

Note each PC has to have the same order of numbers:

Example as this might vary between PCs..

PC#1 - Wired PC
IP: 192.169.9.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.2
Default Gateway: 192.168.9.1

On PC#1 make sure you change the network speed to 100FULL it might just say 100Mbps. or something else. Good to get the best load speed. Note this would be only 66Mbps though.

PC#2 - Wireless PC
IP: 192.169.9.101
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.2
Default Gateway: 192.168.9.1

On the wireless PC make sure you have it set to performance if you have the high speed mode feature. If not just leave it alone. If you change anything you can screw-up the wireless.

If you have SP2 for XP Pro the firewall should not be used. There are also better free ones available at www.spychecker.com.

First you have to make sure that PC#1 is seen on the router. If it's not you got to find out what's the problem on that end. Firmware update for the router or the NIC card in the PC box might need updating..

Same would apply to the wireless card make sure you have the latest driver for it..

first off thanks sooo much for the reply!

im more then willing to give that a shot however in not 100% sure how to do all of what you propose

Not that hard, just take your time..

1. First off turn off the other wireless device PC.
2. Go into the Router though the WebAdmin feature (read your manual)
3. Setup the Wireless Router Correctly.
4. Look for gaming features if there is any in your Router and turn them on (enable)
5. Change the SSID to a name you have called your Network at Home.
6. Tell the Router that your Network name is the same as your SSID.
7. Once the Router is setup right then see if you can connect to the internet
8. If you can, then move on to the Wireless PC, If not, go back and get it right with the Wireless Router.
9. Turn on the Wireless PC.

Again there is no rush, just take your time. It's better to go this route, to make sure you have cover all the bases. I find a lot of users get to excited and forget what they did and come and say, my wireless isn't working. So if you did it right the first time and get use to becoming you own Network Admin (Master of your Network) then you'll be okay. There are books you can buy on this stuff. I just figure it out on a daily bases. So much to learn so much to take it, yes it's very hard at first. I was like you many years ago when 802.11b was popular, not I don't have that problem anymore..

If you need help just SHOUT! I am on Yahoo and AIM for instant messaging for those live action helps..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back