LAN problems in Germany...and no one can help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I´m studying in German for the year and activated the internet in my dorm last week. I don´t know much about networks and LANs in general, but I do know that it is cable, it attaches through a cable modem, and it is still not working. My internet guy cannot figure out what is wrong and now I´m paying for internet that I can´t use. Here is what I do know...

I´m using a new Sony Vaio laptop with Windows XP. The internet guy entered in a static IP address, subnet, all that stuff, and he and I have gone over it multiple times now to ensure that it is correct. My computer is sending packets, but only receives one for every 10,000 or so sent. It says the connection is good, but I cannot access the internet. We have exchanged the modem and cables and it still does not work, so I don´t think it could be faulty equipment.

I have shut down every firewall my computer has and it still doesn´t work. I have also tried pinging (that´s what everyone said to do). When I ping the actual IP address, it times out. I had DSL in my last dorm in Germany a month ago and had no problems. Unfortunately my internet guy is of no help at the moment! Does anyone know what the problem could be or what I could do? I am losing my sanity over this and would so appreciate any help! Thanks!!

Read the original post, it worked at a different place and manual ip has been tried!!!!!!!!!!!

Er, no, its not even me that has the problem. I am trying to help but didn't suggest setting a static ip as it has already been tried!!!!

I did not mean to cause offence!!!!!

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help already! triiifashions, I wasn´t the one who posted that comment, but I did check the static ip address and it is set right, so I don´t think that´s it, but thanks. Maybe we can all play nice. I really do appreciate all the help. :)

To answer the questions, my computer worked a couple days ago on my friend´s wireless network, but I haven´t tried it on another LAN or DSL or anything since I used it last in Regensburg. I will try and find the internet to download that WinSok program onto my laptop (I´m in my school´s library at the moment). Maybe that will work! I haven´t uninstalled or done anything to my computer since Regensburg though, so I guess we´ll see!

rik, this will sound stupid but how do I make sure I uninstalled/removed my previous connection? At the moment under Network Connections (or whatever it is) I have the Wirless Connection, which is not connected, My new LAN with the cable modem that Jens the internet guy set up (comp. says this IS connected, but receives very few packets), and connection called 1394 Network Adaptor or something, which is also connected. Sorry, I don´t have my laptop with me at the moment! I will bring it next time. Both the LAN and the 1394 are connected, although the 1394 does not send or receive anything. I actually don´t know what the 1394 one is...I´ve never paid attention before because I´ve never had a problem.

Any ideas? Thanks again!

The 1394 is your firewire port, don't worry about it!

Are you trying to get the connection to work wired or wireless? Or have you tried both?

Ok, thanks for that explanation. I am using a cable to connect to the modem. The only wireless networks I can find at the moment require ids, which I was never given, so I assume they have nothing to do with my cable internet. There aren´t any wireless networks to try, as even the unsecured ones are being stubborn at the moment. I´m relying on may cable.

You need to check what the built in lan card is and if you have the correct driver for it in device manager, let me know if you don't know how to do that!!! I will also need to what version of windows you are using!!!

Thanks much! I will see if I can find out how to do that. I´m using Windows XP Student and Teacher Edition with Service Pack 2 or something

Just for more potential clues, could you post an ipconfig /all here?

Start > Run > cmd.exe [OK]
ipconfig /all

Right click anywhere on the top title bar of the cmd window and a menu will appear. Click 'Properties' and check a box called, 'Quick Edit Mode'. Click OK and now you can click and drag your mouse across the results of ipconfig /all and right click on the highlighted area to copy it.

Paste the info you copy here, so we can see the details.

For a real test of whether your modem is working or not, you should contact your ISP. They'll also be able to figure out if there's a network outage or other problems in your area (usually). They'll also be able to tell you if you're information is correct.

I will do that this evening and post it tomorrow (Germany time of course). The library is closing at the moment...

thanks!

Hey! I had to go out of town for awhile and I just got back and, amazingly, my internet was working. Jens the internet guy called me and told me he had entered in the wrong IP address from his side. So I bothered you and other people when it was his mistake all along. Thanks so much for the help, I'm glad my internet is finally working and if it isn't I know what to check now (besides verifying that my terrible internet guy knows what he's doing). Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back