Lanparty or Neo4 Platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

formetopoopon90

Hello everyone! I was looking at mobos' and i came across the DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D and the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum mobos. The lanparty mobo seemed more attractive, where as it seems to be more of a "gamers" board. I have never built with these two brands, MSI and DFI, so i was woundering which mobo would be the best for gamers. The lanparty mobo has 2 PCI-express slots, not SLI, and it cost about 10 bucks more. I dont really need the extra pci-e slot, expecially if its not sli. I also have herd many talking about the lanparty board being difficult to install and it being very picky about the memory. As for the MSI board, most of everyone has said it to be a breeze to install. I would rather get the MSI board, which is less expensive, and it being very easly to build with, rather than getting the lanparty board, having it to be more expensive and difficult to install, but yet is basicly the same as the MSI board. Perhaps some help from people who have these boards would be helpfull. Any help will be welcomed. Thanks

MSI board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130484

DFI board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136152

I used the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum motherboard on my first build and found it easy to setup. I don't know anything about the DFI board though.

I just installed this same MSI board in my computer, and it was a snap. Very easy to set up. It replaced a Asus board, also an nForce 4 Ultra board that had a very noisy chipset fan. The fan went out after two months and I'll RMA it. This board is so much more quiet it is unblievable.

Also never owned a DFI board, but I highly recomnend this MSI board.

It's a better overclocker, more staible, not trying to over do it with visual look, bios locks pcie bus and ram for easy overclock. It so far as loved every different ram setup I have used on it, can increase the pcie voltage up an extra .3 volts if you like overclocking the graphic card, that particular board only supports 3GB max where as the gigabyte supports 4. the sata interface on the MSI has two sata 2.0 and 2 of the old sata( Two of the interfaces are 3gb/s and the other two are 1.5gb/s) where as the GIGABYTE has has 4 sata 2.0. The GIGABYTE board is sli where as the MSI one is not.

The worst thing about it is the 20mm fan on the north bridge. the gigabyte uses just passive cooling by just having a heat sink. the 20 mm fan goes out and when you not expecting it can make a world of hurt.The cpu volatage limmit was 1.4v and on the GIGABYTE one it is 1.7v, (stock voltage is 1.3v)
The gigabyte board is a more respected brand, not that msi isn't good.

I could overclock my Processor to 2.4ghz unstabile, and on the GIGABYTE board 2.6 ghz staible.

There are so many reasons to get the gigabyte board, but mostly because the msi board, doesn't like miss matching ram, doesn't like very high end ram, when you overclock you overclock everthing.

Sot that's why the gigabyte board is so much better then the msi board.

AND MOST OF ALL IT'S CHEAPER

AND IT'S CHEAPER A
and the 20mm fan is a bi7ch because it goes out about every 8 months.

I have never used a Gigabyte board but i do know they have a great rep, but, in my opinion, so does MSI.
I have a NEO2 board that i have had for 4 years with zero problems, it just hums along. Its my everday pc and i use it from 9am to 11pm, 7 days a week as a work from my home. I even like the cool red and the flashing light on the cpu fan, lol, so much that i have the side cover of my full tower off!
When i first got my mobo i had purchased it on a forum from someone i knew and trusted. He bought it,installed it, then decided to go with something really hi-tech, along the server lines, so i got the mobo from him.
While installing the mobo, and using a case that was smaller than standard, i knocked a small chip off the board. The chip was tiny and near the end of the mobo and i was installing my cd burner at the time. All my stupid fault, nothing to do with the mobo. I called MSI and told them the truth, that it was a used mobo, that i wasnt the original owner, and told the guy how i knocked the chip off the mobo. He said because i was honest about it that he was sending me a new mobo exactly the same and he did, real fast!!
So i will be sticking with MSI in the future as well. You cant really go wrong with MSI if you want a standard type mobo that simply works every day. They do have some nice features, check the website for the mobo you want and you will see them. Of course, you likely already have.
Lanparty mobos have a very good rep as well, but they are more for overclockers.
Either way, i dont think you can go far wrong here, i just happen to favor MSI because of their gracious return policy, tell the truth and you get a new mobo even when you dont deserve it!
Oh, ya, i have mismatched ram in my neo2, runs fine.

I dont really feel qualified to answer that question in detail as i dont have any experience with that board.
I do know its a high-end board, likely tilted toward gamers, and i have read a lot of good things about it.
And Asus, well, that name stands out right off the top.
Wether its worth the extra dollars i would have to leave to someone with more experience than I. My experience leans more toward the lowe-end to mid-range type mobos and not the higher end models such as this one.
Probably, in the end, it will amount to simply your choice, but that is just a guess.
What i do know is that i am very happy with my MSI NEO2, but you already know that, lol.
They are all good boards and fairly close in quality and goodies, see here:
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,120224,00.asp

the sata interface on the MSI has two sata 2.0 and 2 of the old sata( Two of the interfaces are 3gb/s and the other two are 1.5gb/s) where as the GIGABYTE has has 4 sata 2.0.
Actually the MSI board has 4 of each for a total of 8 SATA connectors.

ive had the dfi lanparty nf4 sli board and havent had any problems with it. its a good board for the money.

get the dfi board, almost nobody on these boards has ever used one. so they all want to talk about how great their board was for them.

fact is dfi makes fantastic boards designed for a specific purpose - being great gaming boards. they do that well, get the DFI and ignore this msi, abit, asus fuss.

I just bought a LanParty UT CFX3200 very recently and it's working great, no questions asked. I had asked around for the best gaming board company around and DFI was the most popular answer(the other being GigaByte). The computer shop fellows also said that if I had any problems then DFI support would be more than willing to help, so I don't think the DFI would give u any problems.

MSI Neo4 Platinum can come in the SLI format as well ( I have that one).
My critism of this board is it's bad OCing characteristics. I does seem to OC the PCI bus with anything you add to the HT bus so you end up with timing problems on the RAM and unstable behavior. But if you're not big on OCing then it is a great mobo. 2Gb/s LAN ports and Firewire. Soundblaster 24Bit Live on-board sound, which is a nice little upgrade from A97 that most mobo's come with. Yes I know just get a real sound card, but some of us don't really care to play music through the PC often enough to warrant dropping a few $100 to have better sound. I have a real stereo for that.

With that being said DFI Lanparty boards are suppose to be excellent, you might try HardOCP and read some of their mobo reviews. These guys are OCing hardware junkies and if the board is bad they find it and the bug in it. This includes general layout of the mobo components, like CPU socket being too close to something so you can't get a decent HSF upgrade installed. They cover this kind of detail.

Cheers.

I made a mistake. At pricewatch has it at $194.99 shipped, while newegg has it at $201.94 shipped. You would have to check the shipped price at tigerdirect.

On the other hand, that lanparty mobo looks pretty darn good too, lol.
Lanparty has a great rep as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back