Lappy Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

tutkas

Hello there!

I'm planning to buy a new lappy soon and i have a question: there is to choose between two graphics cards: 8600GS or 8600GT witch one is better: gt also adds price so is it worth it and if u have some comparision sites could you post them?!

Waiting for advice....

Depends entirely on what you are going to use the laptop for. If general office use, go for the GS - if you are going to use it for gaming, spend the money on the better card.

Well, i supose i'll be using it for gaming as well.... but can someone tell me whats the exact difference between those cards: GPU speed, RAM etc...
thanks

Look up the two specs as you find them as part of the laptop. The key differences are the processor speed, the memory and the memory speed. Something like this
Graphics Bus Technology: PCI Express
Memory Amount: 256MB
Memory Interface: 128-bit
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec): 22.4
Fill Rate (Billion pixels/sec): 8.64
RAMDACs (MHz): 400
Core Clock: 540MHz
Memory Clock: 1400MHz
Dual-link DVI Support
HDTV Support
TV-out + Dual DVI Connectors
Heat-Pipe Cooling Solution

but if your base ram sucks, it makes no difference at all. Ensure you max that out too.

AlbertLionheart said:
depends on the OS; XP does not make full use of 3Gb whereas Vista does.

NOT TRUE. Depends on what version of the OS(s) you have. There is a 32 and 64 bit of both xp and vista, the 32 bit version wont support more than 3 Gb's unlike the 64 bit versions. Another thing to think about when comparing the two operating systems is that xp gets about 10-15 more fps than vista does with most video cards.

horses for courses in all things including threads. When you say offering - what do you mean? Free? Take it. At a cost - see what you can get it for elsewhere and maybe get it later if and when you need it. No doubt it can be argued that it is better done when new, but maybe those pennies are best spent on something you really need now instead of maybe later depending on what you do with the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back