Laptop Battery Calibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

nismo91

Hello all,

its been so long since my last thread.
now im back here again to ask one common question:

How do I calibrate my battery precisely?
so here's the case,
before this, my laptop specs are in my profile.
hence i just jump to the battery specs to be more specific.

the battery is SANYO ZL-01 Lithium Ion Battery,
4400mAhr, rated at 14.8V.
i do know the real-time info from the software called Notebook Hardware Control.
its very useful for viewing battery capacity info.

enough for the intro i guess,
so the battery full capacity it 65120mwh when it's new.
but now its less than 30000mwh.
it was 26000 just now, until i managed to make it 29540 after using it until 1% then shutdown. (almost 0%).

the annoying thing here is:
when my laptop battery full capacity stays at 26000,
i used my laptop until 5% (about 1420mwh)
surprisingly, it stays there until about 10minutes and start degrade to 4%.
at 4% too, another 5minutes are spent on the 1020mwh capacity.freeze there.
of course, when it reaches 3%, the battery capacity degrade steadily until 1%.

the point here is, i know that the battery indicator should be inaccurate,
that i can have 10mins at 5%, therefore i wish to ask people here whether they have any clue or solution to my problem....

i've read that some laptop such as IBM let users calibrate their battery via BIOS.
i wish to do that too, since i found that my battery full capacity degrade rapidly unless i did the calibration myself again....

sorry for the bad english, and of course another common question being asked.
i really thank you for reading my post and hopefully someone can share their opinion. once again. Thank You. :)

nismo91, every battery has several parameters: FCC - full charge capacity, DCC - designed capasity, CC - current capacity. the DCC parameter is factory configured, the FCC is changing during battery using. and CC - is realtime measured value during battery charge or discharge. well my job is repack batteries too :) so i can tell you exact way of battery calibration: discharge it until powering off(this means, that you should remove all alarms in windows power manager), and then charge it! that's all! if the battery shows you inaccurate values(the DCC value must be bigger than FCC value, however, sometimes we can see contravert situation) then calibration cycle won't help you.

thanks for the info. :)

i have already turned off everything last week,
and last night i let the battery die (0%) and recharge it fully.
but the fcc remains at 29540mwah.
nvm though, i have bigger values then yesterday....

anyway, what is the good temp for storing batteries?
i've once place it in freezer for 10mins and it's 9*C at the time i plug it in to my laptop. (lucky my battery have this function.)
when i read in articles many ppl said refrigerator temp will be decent. is it true? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back