Laptop cannot find Wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a E-machines loptop (M6000 I think) that has an inbuilt Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g Wireless network adapter that seems to be working properly but cannot find my home wirless network, currently however I have it connected to the router via LAN cable and that works just fine. If any can help or needs more information please reply.

What is the make and model of the router, what is the firmware version on the router? Are you using the latest driver for the wireless card? What OS? 2k? XP? sp1, sp2?
Is the Router broadcasting its SSID? This info would be very helpful to help narrow down possible causes of the problem and possible resolutions.

Same problem here

I have the same problem but on a different machine.

I have a gateway which came with XP home...i formatted it to XP professional. Then i did not find the wireless inbuilt adapter on the device manager...i downloaded the driver from the gateway website and installed it...but the devive manager shows that it is not installed properly. I have tried multiple installs, uninstalls and restarts on the same.

Can somebody advise?

Thanks!

WLAN enabled?

some wireless routes require the WiFi to be enabled and default to DISABLE, the likely reason being that there's no security settings yet.

get your manual/cd to give you the IP address of the router
(eg 192.168.0.1) and the user/password
hardwire router to any system
use your browser to access 192.168.0.1/ (notice missing HTTP

you should get a page that has various tabs/settings
look for WLAN setup
enable wireless

if you do anything, PLEASE change the SSID to something other than the default, write it down, and DISABLE SSID broadcasting(hopefully your router supports this feature). This will psuedo-hide your WiFi from trival attacks. you SHOULD enable encryption, but read up on WEP/WAP.

be sure to SAVE settings when you'r done.

unplug the hardwiring, enable wireless on the system, and look for a signal,
you will have to MANUALLY configure the card to add the SSID you created above - - this is what will frustrate the trivial hacker - - playing with 'what is the SSID?' and that's what should drive them away.

Its not a router problem

The problem was not about the wireless router...its about the drivers on the machine...anyways i got the necessary downloads from the recovery CD.

Thanks
Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back