Laptop CMOS reset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MISHA8725

I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 on my hands. It's a definite problem child. Sometimes it recognizes the hard drive, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it sees the CD-ROM drive, sometimes it doesn't. But it is very sporadic and I have done hardware testing with Hiren's Boot CD. Everything seems to be fine. So one of my next guesses is that the BIOS or something is screwed up and decided that I need to reset the CMOS. But I have never done it to a laptop before and have no idea where to start. Help? Please?

Go to http://support.dell.com/support and then to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag number from the bottom of your laptop.
You can also click on Technical Support there to get a copy of your original configuration if you do not know it.
Then download the BIOS file: BR114952 for a floppy disk install, or I2200A07 or I2200A07.txt.
Read all the instructions, then go ahead to install. it is pretty safe compared to most other brands.
Also download and install your chipset drivers if your computer was built before 01/17/2006. In fact, I would download and install all drivers with release dates more recent than your purchase.
But be aware that you could have both defective hard drive and defective CD-Rom drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back