Laptop HD Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an HP n3410 Laptop that I am trying to upgrade to a larger HD. After installing the new drive the HP blue logo screen comes up and then it hangs there. If I can get the BIOS setup screen I get the detecting IDE drive and it hangs up there.
I have seen 2 other people that have had the same problem, 1 is with the same computer. It doesn't look like they got the problem fixed.
Does anyone have any ideas.
The new drive is good. It shows on my XP desktop system. I had to go back to Windows Me on the laptop to try what the HP Techs want. Five days of dealing with them and still no fix.
Thanks for any help.

How old is the Laptop? Note a lot of newer HDDs for the laptop doesn't work with older laptops. If I put older HDD for laptop into a newer one it just won't work.

Most older laptops will take a 40GB that's what I had to two with my DELLs with smaller HDDs. Even put 40GB into Toshiba Tecra 8000 with PII 266MHz Mobile Intel that works great. Made tha laptop run quicker..

Thanks Tipster

Thanks for the info. The laptop is around 1999-2000. I believe it's a BIOS problem and like you said it won't recognize the drive. Anything I get from HP or any searchs I've done there is no upgrade. Thanks again.

that is because many older BIOSes cannot handle larger hard drives. This requires an update. This is an unsual case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back