Laptop hdd Q?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dreck

I have an older laptop that the hdd went bad on.
I got a hdd that a buddy had laying around. I figured id throw it in..
Windows XP pro reformated & started install, but when it try to boot for first time.... got error?

I dont know much about this... wanted to know the differences in hdd for laptops?

IBM, Thinkpad 380z

Original HDD:
IBM Travelstar
Model: DKLA-24090 E182115 T
Rated: 5v 500mA
P/N: 03L5659 4.0GB 4090MB
FRU: 22L0024
MLC: F22083
(7944CYL, 16heads, 63sec/T)

Replacement HDD:
Model: DJSA-220
20.00GB, ATA/IDE, 5v 500mA, 4200RPM
P/N: 07N4388
MLC: H32029
(16383cyl. 16heads, 63sec/T)

Thanks for any replys!

Did you do a thorough format? The quick-format is not very good and could have caused your prob.
If you think the HD is good (enough), look for this program HDD Regenerator at http://www.dposoft.net/ which will give a new lease of life to almost any HD.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, i did a full format. I beleave the HDD to be good. Guy i got it from said it worked when he removed.

As for the regenerator, I downloaded both versions & i beleave they both require a form or windows.?

I used a floppy creator, dft32_v360.exe. This is a program to detect errors & such from Hitachi. Witch i found when looking on IBM's site.
The software completed several of the tasks & found no problems.
Im going to reformat & try again. I'll post my results.

Thanks.

HDD Regen only requires Windows in order to use it to spawn a floppy containing the utility. Once you make a floppy of it, it boots from the floppy and runs.

o.... gotja

Well i tryed reformat agian with NTFS & got the same error.
I desided to try FAT...... & she just reboot for the first time.
:)

Guess it doesnt like NTFS....

Thanks for all the help.

NTFS is also very picky about other factors, such as memory. Just something to keep in mind.

It is very possible your problem stems elsewhere.

I notice you're replacing a 4GB with a 20GB. How old is the machine itself? Is it capable of recognizing the 20? Check IBM's site for the potential of a bios flash to see if the resolved issues might have anything to do with drive capacity.

My $.02

ok.... install went fine.....

fats did the trick.....

I try to update bios... i have the lastest version.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back